Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '69 FB doors are worse than I thought. They looked fine until I started stripping them out . The bottoms are pin holed . The outside skins both have accident damage. Are the bottoms replaceable ? When I say bottom I mean the interior bottom that the weather strip attaches to.......do I need to look for doors? How available are good doors? What $$$ am I looking at? Are the repops worth looking at?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Im not aware of 69 shells....skins are very expensive.

People selling used doors seem to believe the doors are made of platinum judging by the price.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'd try for some good used original ones if you can find them. Skins is what I used on mine and they needed allot of work to get the gaps right. I would guess the whole repo doors would be the same if not worse. But I haven't any experience with those. Oh, gave $150 for both mine and they needed skins.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you happen across a set of 70 Mach doors, I'd be interested in them and selling my 69 doors. They're practically rust free and good glass, and I'm looking for the same in a 70 set of doors.

G

·
0 Posts
Down here in Florida they are hard to find. At least ones that are decent. So last week I saw an ad in the Tampa Tribune for a 69 driver's door for $175. I thought about buying it just to have on hand but no room for storing. I will try to find last weeks classified and give you the number. Maybe you can do a search. It was last week in the Super Saver section of the Tampa Tribune, good luck. Ken

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you happen across a set of 70 Mach doors, I'd be interested in them and selling my 69 doors. They're practically rust free and good glass, and I'm looking for the same in a 70 set of doors.
What's the difference beside bolt in glass? Date codes or something?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I went with the skins for my doors, after about a year the skins "wrinkled" although they looked great after installation, I guess the body flexing while driving it did it. I'm in a bad position because of the paint color (black shows everything!)If I had to do it again, I'll still go with the skins because of the price. Maybe someday down the road I'll start seriously looking for good original doors, but I don't think I'll be very successful, and if I do find them, they'll probably be too much for a daily driver. Good news is that I've found entire doors reasonably priced I think, just gotta research them online. In fact, I've found good deals in the parts for sale sections. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Good doors are out there, it just may take some time to find them. I placed a wanted ad here for a set and had several people respond. The guy I was helping decided not to get them at that time. Months later, when he was ready, I placed another ad and got no reponses. I think he ended up paying $300 for one good door shell at a swap meet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts