Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my engine rebuilt in the next week or so and will be detailing the engine compartment while the rebuild is going on. What sort of paint can I use that will last and not flake or discolor? I don't have the option of having it painted by a pro in a booth. I guess spray bombs are in my future. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I used POR-15 in a chassis black satin finish on the Hipo's engine bay several years ago. It must be sprayed on, is expensive, wears like iron, is impervious to damn near everything known to man, and is a pretty good approximation of the factory finish. Unfortunately, once opened, it has a relatively short shelf life. Meaning that everything that needs to be painted should done in a single session for best results.

But, I'd say it's worth investigating as to whether or not it will meet your needs. Spray bomb products are a crap shoot at best.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have access to a spray gun unfortunately. The car is going to be at my friends shop while being rebuilt.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If your paint does not come in a standard spray can you can use one of these. Preval Sprayer. I've used them with lacquer for interior pieces and I like 'em.

With that said, Krylon black semigloss (1613) is very good and cheap. I've never used Eastwood underhood black but I'd guess it's as good as their other stuff.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Since you don't have access to a spray gun, then your next best option is rattle can semi-gloss black by Krylon or Rust-oleum.

FWIW, I seriously doubt that a Preval sprayer could atomize any POR15 product....

·
Registered
881 Posts
The key to a good looking engine compartment or anything else is the prep work thats done before the paint is sprayed. Clean it, clean it again, and then start sanding any rough spots, rust, or any other areas that are subpar. If you get a good surface, krylon will do a decent job, the key is to apply it without being able to see the spray pattern once your finished. You can do this by applying each coat at a different angle or direction then the previous one. If you spray the first one in a horizontal pattern, spray the next on in a vertical or 45 degree angle. Good luck!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Krylon 1613 is the way to go.

Before
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/69Rcode_Mach1/DSC00015.jpg

After
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/69Rcode_Mach1/Picture027.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts