Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mach has a 351 with an FMX.It shifts firm and runs great,but the shifter is as loose as a goose.Sloppy damn thing!Should I fix it?Or should I replace with a B&M or other shifter?Are the B&M shifters or others that much better?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I don't like the B&M shifters. Not the way they look and not the way they shift. I hate going to look at a car and peeking in the window and seeing one. I just took one out. But then I don't race or street drag and I'm not real worried about missing a manually shifted automatic shift because I would rarely shift an auto myself.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It will only cost you three or four dollars for the new bushings to fix it and if you still don't like it then replace it.
Al

·
Registered
107 Posts
It really depends on what you like. I like B&M shifters, but I'm not sure I would put one in a 69 Mach 1. If the car is Built, I would do it. If it is pretty much stock, I would fix the other. I don't think a B&M will bolt rite in, so you will be adding some holes to your trans tunnel. You might regret doing that later.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If your car is otherwise stock i would just rebuild the stock shifter, if its modded or you dont care about originality go form the b&m shifter. i have a b&m shifter in my 67 and it is awesome, i love the ratcheting, you can slap it foward as hard as you want and not misshift it.. right now mine is missing a pin so i cant get it into first but... thats easily fixed, they are great producrs and i love them.. go for it

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just recently rebuilt the shifter for my daughters 69 coupe, less than 6 bucks, a little time, and it is smoooooooth. Keep the original. JMHO

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ditto on the repair route I did mine about a year and half ago, and it works like new. Easy AND cheap!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts