Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 mach1 and redoing the rear fold down seat.the furthest to the rear, stationary carpeted floor piece looks factory, but does not have a long chrome trim on it.instead it has carpet wrapped around the rear edge,visible from the trunk, and the latch catch for the trap door is screwed thru the carpet.Were some made this way?I have seen some internet pictures with and without the chrome piece.Its a NJ car built feb 5 69.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think that is correct for 69 and 70 actually. They did away with the chrome curved piece and wrapped the carpet around the edge and stapled it.

69ID

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great pictures mike.it helps alot.I guess i'll put it back the way it is now.probably hard to find just that piece,but do not need it now.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
No problem, glad to help. If you are considering the repop metal trim kits that are available, the set I bought for my 70 came with that piece. I am unsure if I will put it on or not. Makes the part look more finished I think but wont be correct for 69-70 cars..

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
IIRC, that rear piece disappeared after the strike in '68, to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is what I got. I believe its factory. From what I am hearing here I should put it back the same way and forget about the big chrome trim....how do I deal with the staples?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Not sure on that one, had to be one mean stapler to drive them thru sheet steel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to access the trunk through the trap door? I don't have a trunk key. Is the latch on the top or bottom of the trap door?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Does anyone know how to access the trunk through the trap door? I don't have a trunk key. Is the latch on the top or bottom of the trap door?
You should really start your own thread. I'm not trying to be an a**, it's just you will probably get more responses than you would tagging along on someone elses. Most people tend to blow by extra questions that aren't related to the original topic. The latch is on the bottom. I don't know that you will be able to activate the mechanism though, it has a pretty stiff spring. What you can do is remove that floor piece from the back of the car, (the one being talked about in this thread), then you can lift the hatch.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Mine is not stapled, it has the chrome piece? Wonder if someone changed mine at one time or another?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Thants so funny because I did the same thing this weekend on my 68 and it was my only key. On my 68 the latch bolt need to come up. If you can stick a knife something in the center and catch that and move it up that will work but I had trouble. Luckily I had enough play in the whole door to force the whole door up enough to unlatch it at the bottom. Then I used a extender magnet with a light at the end to grab the keys

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
mines original andi just re did it last year.

the original peice was wrapped around (no trim) and was stapled.

it was a PIA to remove the staples one by one.

I glued the replacement down with carpet cement and held it in with huge woodworking clamps til it dried

1 - 13 of 13 Posts