Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on 69 Fastback Headliner Bows. I am based in the UK and the only set I can find for sale are on ebay and would cost me $475 dollars after shipping and Tax. If I can I want to avoid paying stupid money for some bits of metal. Has anybody had experience of making your own headliner bows? Does anybody have, or would they be willing to make, a tracing of 69 fastback bows that would help me make them.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
760 Posts
I need to get my bows down from the attic. IF I remember this evening, I'll go find them and take some pics for you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on 69 Fastback Headliner Bows. I am based in the UK and the only set I can find for sale are on ebay and would cost me $475 dollars after shipping and Tax. If I can I want to avoid paying stupid money for some bits of metal. Has anybody had experience of making your own headliner bows? Does anybody have, or would they be willing to make, a tracing of 69 fastback bows that would help me make them.

Thanks
Where are you in the UK? I have a set here at home that I have not yet fitted to my car. You would be more than welcome to come over and measure them, etc.

·
Registered
870 Posts
For reference last year I sold three sets of original 69 fastback bow rods for an average of $185 per set. The length of the shipping box/tube is what drives shipping cost. Even way back in 1975, what you would buy over the service counter at the Ford dealer was a generic rod that would have to be custom fitted. Maybe the instructions will help:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys that is great information and gives me some guidance on how to move forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you in the UK? I have a set here at home that I have not yet fitted to my car. You would be more than welcome to come over and measure them, etc.
Hi Jr. I am based just outside Milton Keynes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
CJ pony parts have them for like $60 I'm pretty sure for the 1969 fastback- I have a coupe and I can't find them anywhere

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you need coupe bow rods send me a PM, I can grab them from the junkyard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Polar Bear, I have just had a look at CJ but couldn't find them. If you have a link to the bows on the site that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Polar Bear, I have just had a look at CJ but couldn't find them. If you have a link to the bows on the site that would be great.

Thanks
That sucks, it doesn't look like they are on there anymore. I did find some on ebay for around $300 including shipping though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, can I ask your opinion. I was using brake pipe to make templates for wire bows. However I was thinking would the brake pipe be strong enough to use? Looking at the rear holding wires they are not very heavy duty so can't be under huge pressure.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Forgot to add - the bows are in order front to back, starting at the top. The shortest bow is the front most bow.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I can grab both the '69 f/b bows as well as coupe bows if anyone needs them yet. Probably this Friday, so let me know

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks P51. How thick is the wire?

TIA
They are about 3/16" of an inch. And they are not just a rod, they are like a rod with extra metal on top. You can just barely make out the line of the extra hump in the close up pics. My guess is that gives them a little extra strength against bending.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again guys, I think, based on your info, that I will go ahead and make templates out of brake pipes and then get steel rod for the final parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys, I thought you may be interested in a few pictures of me making my own 69 fastback bows. Firstly I wouldn't recommend doing this if you can buy repo or originals. In my case I wasn't willing to pay nearly $500 to buy and ship a set.

So this is what I did:
I used copper brake pipe to make templates as it was easier to bend in situ to match the roof shape

I then purchased 6mm steel rod and then copied the template.

I used electrical tape to hold the two together as I bent to fit. I bent the ends fully 180 degrees and then cut to create the hook ends.

I then offer the steel versions up to the car and then made adjustments to the shape in situ. I was reasonably happy with the fit, however, I haven't yet fitted the headliner....

I hope this helps anybody who can't get headliner bows.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts