Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive found a 69 mustang sitting on 4 flat tires and grass growing up around it, i havent talked to the owner yet.
But whats the difference between fastback and sportsroof?
It has the rear side scoops and 351 emblems on the hood scoop Any info will help?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
In 69, Ford changed the "fastback" name to "sportsroof" but many still refer to them as fastbacks because is sounds better.

All 69 fastbacks except the Boss 302 had the side 1/4 scoops.

To verify it's a Mach, you'll need to look at the door data plate for body code 63C, unlike a 1970, the 69 VIN does not show Mach vs non-Mach. The minimum engine for a Mach was the 351 2v so if the scoop badge says it's a 351, that is a +. There are a host of other items for a Mach such as h-back seats, woodrain dash/deluxe interior; side and rear striping.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
A 'fastback' is a 'sportsroof'. Ford changed their terminology in 69.

You can't tell if a car is a mach I or just a sportsroof by the VIN in 1969, but you can get an idea based upon what the car has. If it has the deluxe interior, woodgrain dash components, highback seats with a red horizontal stripe, round passanger side clock (panel may say "Mach I" integrated floor mats (pads) in all 4 seating positions (red), 351-2v or larger engine chances are she's a Mach I.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
A Mach has a 9" rearend too

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think pretty much everyone answered all the things to look for in a 69 Mach, according to Marti, 63C is the body code for a 69 Mach1, door plate if it's there should have that, also, look for the dual cutouts for the exhaust, only GTs and M1 had them. If it's a Metuchen car, look under the hood for a buck tag, it should help too. Who knows, it may be a GT ;)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
One more thing, Mach 1's do not have fender badges. My Dearborn car has a buck tag and it shows the 63C needed to identify a 69 as a Mach 1.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
In 1969 Mach 1 did have a 63C code to designate it as a Mach1 they also had a secondary paint code for the black out hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts