Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I really need help on this one My 69 FB is ready for paint except for one thing there is a gap between the boomerang and the body that Im not sure how to seal.the drip rail above the door only comes down a couple inches around the quarter window opening when I trial fit my boomerang there is a 1/4 gap between it and the body.I know the coupes have a piece that forms a drip rail
but the manual shows the 63 model does not. Does anyone know how this area gets sealed before paint?I have attached a picture of my car showing the area in question

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
There are a couple things going on here...

1st: there is a small stainless steel piece that goes over both the boomerang and the stainless drip rail molding and the seam between the two... this piece is screwed into the body and will pull the boomerang in flush - the boomerang flexes quite a bit.

2nd: the boomerang is totally cosmetic and not a weather seal. The real seal is the rubber piece that wraps all the way around the quarter window as well as the door windows.

The only "seal" of the boomerang is around the stamped steel nuts that mount it at the bottom.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks I very much appreciate your response,I do understand the way the boomerang is attached both top and bottom although the top does not seem to be a issue.as the gutter extends partially down the body to seal the molding but 2/3 thirds of the molding has a gap
that I thought would get seam sealer as I cannot seem to pull the molding in tight enough to the body for a seal .I do understand when you say that this area is not a seal point but to me it looks unfinished. As for as the rubber seal thanks again as I do know of this component.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I experienced a similar gap and alignment issue after having the pieces rechromed. I used a heat gun to heat the part along the curve of the boomerang. This allowed me to flex the part to better fitment. You can flex the part some when cold but it will return to it's unflexed position when released. I put 2 clamps on the edge of my work bench then flexed the ends to just larger than what I wanted and clamped it. I then applied heat to the bend area from the back side and allowed it to cool. Once cooled try to fit it again to the car. You will likely see a change. It may take a few times to get it just right and might include some twisting too. Just beware you are working with pot metal here and it is easly broken. The ones I did are the 40 yr. old ones off the car. I did order repops from NPD that had quite a gap issue but didn't use them because of the pooor chrome quality. I will be reinstalling mine with some strip caulking on the back side to precent water intrusion and chipping of the paint when tightening. Good luck....Jack

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You should have a flange that sticks out ~1/4 inch. I beleive some bolted on & others were welded, mine are welded. These are not a great pictures but will give you an idea.:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike and everyone else. I can not believe how many people I have talked to on the net and otherwise before I have seen a picture of this mysterious part.No suppliers I have talked to know anything about it.Which of course makes it imposable to order.Even the manuals I have do not call it out on a model 63 although they do on the model 65 (coupe)
Mike do you have a picture of the piece looking at it from the front of the car?I think Im going to have the pieces made at a fab shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts