Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to freshen up my intake and valve covers and am needing to know what's the correct name/shade for the Ford Blue engine color for 69 in a rattle can?

I've seen Ford Dark Blue, Ford Blue, Ford Light Blue, New Ford Blue, and Ford Corporate Blue.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Plastikote 224...That's the ticket.

Ford Corporate Blue.

Most Autoparts stores carry it..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
NEFaurora said:
Plastikote 224...That's the ticket.

Ford Corporate Blue.

Most Autoparts stores carry it..
Agree with the Plastikote 224.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
"Is Ford Corporate Blue also the accurate color for, say, a 67 air cleaner assy.?"

Yes.

Ford Corporate Blue was used 1966 thru 1973 and beyond.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I read that article one time and remember it well, though the weblink is now a dead one.

Krylon's Dark Ford Blue is probably the best out of those three that are mentioned in the article... Don't believe everything you read.

All the rattle cans have been tried, and Plastikote 224 still comes out on top, Not just for the color, but it wears like iron. I wouldn't trust the Krylon anymore either as Valspar has now changed the formula for all of their Krylon spray bombs and are no longer laquer based as they used to be.

For a rattle can, Plastikote 224 is still the best that you can get. Otherwise, You'd have to mix it up in a spray gun and shoot it yourself.

Still, The color of Ford Corporate blue over the years looking at original cars can be a shade lighter or a shade darker even on original cars. The color was not 100% consistant over the years between plants. That is why the Plastikote 224 is the most used. It tends to be a shade on the darker side, but still fully acceptable...even by the MCA.

It's your best bet. Like I said, Unless you're mixing it yourself, You're not like to get much better. If there was a better rattle can out there, It would be well known by now most likely as 224.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I use Duplicolor 1606 " Ford dark blue" for all my blue needs. Very good product, vendors don't carry the Plastikote brand anymore over here.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
It's not bad (1606 Ford Dark Blue') as far as color.. I have one can..and compared it , but I hate the Duplicolor Spray nozzles! They use Laquer nozzles..and it flows like water.. I like the Plastikote nozzles better..They use the regular run of the mill standard nozzle. They seem to spray problem free and go on a little heavier...Just my observation and 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
NEFaurora said:
It's not bad (1606 Ford Dark Blue') as far as color.. I have one can..and compared it , but I hate the Duplicolor Spray nozzles! They use Laquer nozzles..and it flows like water.. I like the Plastikote nozzles better..They use the regular run of the mill standard nozzle. They seem to spray problem free and go on a little heavier...Just my observation and 2 cents..
Their spray nozzles is one of the reason i like it so much, goes on smooth, like a professionnal air spray gun. It sprays evenly, not as thick as the regular nozzle, but it just a matter of getting use to it.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
I recently bought an NOS (service part replacement) heat shield for my coupe. I was curious about the color difference. The blue on it is an EXACT match to Plastikote 224.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
As stated before the color varied between shades over the years, and between plants...from a shade darker to a shade lighter, and actually one in the middle. There is no one "True" Ford Coporate blue when talking about what was originally used on the engines, because the shade varied. I have 3 NOS pieces, and all three are different shades of Ford Corporate blue. Which one is correct? Well, All three of them! I would go out on a limb and say that there are three different shades of the color that I have found, but no more, and no less. "Old Ford Blue" (Pre '65) is way to light...so it's not even a contender...just for fyi..

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
True, in the case of my coupe, the original paint is an exact match to the Plastikote, just like the NOS part.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Laurie_S said:
I recently bought an NOS (service part replacement) heat shield for my coupe. I was curious about the color difference. The blue on it is an EXACT match to Plastikote 224.

First off my intent is not :deadhorse: ! A long time back we had a lengthy discussion
about NOS. You mention getting a NOS (service part) heat shield...Ford blue.

The shroud was rusted out years ago and about 10 years ago found a "NOS" shroud for
my 289 2V at a swap meet. The part had the Ford service Parts sticker on it and was/is
painted black. Weren't the early 289s black. Would they have changed the service part
number to make it blue?

·
Registered
481 Posts
here are two brands I tried here, TEMPO and AMERICAN FAST FINISH SPRAY
TEMPO seems reasonable quality, the American spray went dull on the test panel.
comparison with original paint on the 351 windsor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
How about the Rustoleum Ford Blue, anyone tried it? Takes a while to cure but I like the way Rustoleum sprays.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts