Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have overheating issues and changed stock radiator to a bigger aluminum. On motorway the car cools down fine but low revs/idle temp goes up just before line for Hot on gauge. All has been checked and replaced so what remains is fan clutch which is also new but regular thermal clutch. This appears to be air inflow issue to the radiator. I am looking for a severe duty fan clutch for the 1969 GT500 with 428CJ. Anyone knows where i can find one.

temps here go over 90 so need a severe duty one for sure.

I thought of putting a non thermal clutch but my mechanic says it will put lot of strain on water pump.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hayden part number 2765 is the only thing that fits in the space with the proper fan. Do you have the correct fan? What about the fan shroud? Water pump newer or older? What radiator did you swap to, perhaps it’s not up to the task. I have the factory fan, shroud, the above mentioned clutch and a stock replacement radiator and I don’t have any cooling issues.

·
Registered
37,723 Posts
Make sure you didn't get a VISCOUS clutch, which has no thermostatic function and is just a fluid coupling that is more efficient at lower rpms and slips more at higher rpms.

A couple questions... Are your OE emissions (specifically vacuum lines and DVCV) intact? Do you have air conditioning and, if so, does it have one of these plumbed into the PCV line?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts