Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car, non of the guages or lights were working. I replaced the printed circuit and Tested all the wires.

The questions I have are that the lights are still not working and I noticed that the lights + at the plug does not go hot when I turn on the lights. I replaced the fuse and it is fine. Everything else that is + at the plug is hot or goes hot when the proper switch is engaged. Would the problem be in the light switch itself?

Also I noticed that the ground on the lower dash to the left of the cluster was not hooked up. Is that the ground for the cluster?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The ground on the lower dash to the left of the cluster is not for the cluster; the cluster is grounded through the harness. I believe what you are referring to is the ground for the interior courtesy lights.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you aware that the cluster lights go through a dimmer in the headlight switch? Have you tried turning the headlight switch knob when the lights are on to see if your cluster lights work? If you are not getting voltage to the plug either you have a broken wire, open connection, or a bad headlight switch.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did mess with the dimmer. Turned it, wiggled it, still the light + didn't go hot at the gauge plug.

Where does the ground from the gauge plug go to?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ended up removing my light switch and noticed the contact that rides on the rheostat was not even making contact with it no matter what position it was in. Not to mention the light switch was the original 69 one and the rheostat spring and contact were all nice and corroded. Luckily O-reillys had a new light switch in stock and once I get back to the garage, I will hook it up and see if the lights work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts