Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a wiring schematic for installing headlight relays on a 69 with the 4 headlight system?

I have installed relays, but am having some trouble. The high beams work, but the low beams are dim and go completely off when the high beams are active. I suspect a ground problem which I am going to look at tomorrow, but I would like to see a schematic if anyone has one. Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 69 wiring diagram that might help you, but it's in .tif format, that I can't upload to the forum. PM your e-mail address to me and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here's a photo of the hard copy. Save it and then open it in MS Picture Manager and you should be able to zoom in on the area you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
The outer headlights do both low and high beam, while the inner lights are high beam only. So you need to make sure that the high/low lights are properly wired with the high beams so that all 4 switch to high beam.

If you've still got the original wiring harness and plugs at the headlight locations you want to make sure that the red/black wires are all connected to your relay for the low beams, and the green/black wires are connected to your high beam relay. Of course, the black wires are ground.

This would allow all four headlights to be high beam when you switch to high beam...

I've included a part of the wiring diagram with some notes on it that will show closer-up which wires are wired together to make sure that everything works right...

It just sounds to me that if your low beams (outer lights) are going off when you turn on your high beams (inner lights) that the outer ones aren't properly wired to receive the power for their own high beams...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to trouble shoot this today--the headlight relays are the last major barrier to getting this car done! 9 years and counting... Through a complete rotisserie restoration, the electrical has challenged me the most. Does anyone have a schematic showing the relays IN the diagram (i.e. not the stock diagram)? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Follow this link Brighter Headlights at JamesW's site where there is a very nice diagram at the bottom of the page.

The only thing is that this diagram only shows a two headlight system. To add the extra high beams that the '69 has, you'll need a splice going out to the highbeam-only lights from the wire supplying the high beam power to your high/low lights from the relay.

So the relays (there should be 2 - one for low beam and one for high beam) should each have 12v coming in from a direct battery source and a lead coming from your light switch to turn on the relays. One relay then has a wire going out to the low beam lead for each high/low beam light (the outer headlights.) The other relay has wires going out to the high beam lead on the high/low lights and the lead on the high beam only lights.

Hopefully this will be more helpful...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts