Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner installed an aftermarket 69/70 non-functional fiberglass hood scoop. I've purchased all the appropriate parts to install the turn signals in the scoop like on my old Mach 1 (see avitar).

What is the best way to drill the holes in the hood to allow the electrical to be fed up through the engine compartment into the scoop?

FYI, the hood is stock so it has all the appropriate turn signal access holes when viewed from underneath.

1. Suggestions as to process, measurements, required tools, etc would be appreciated.

Thank You,

James1969

·
Registered
641 Posts
Your hood scoop

Hello James. I installed a correct non functioning hood scoop on my 69 fastback.
At the time i had purchased a template off ebay that provided me with the holes for the stud locations and as well, the two oval shaped holes where the rear turn signal light bodies hang down through the hood.

Seeing that you scoop is already installed then the location of the two oval cutouts are all that is needed.

You can get the measurements from someones original hood for the oval cutouts or...i guess if you are creative you can start a small hole first and then modify as necessary to obtain the clearance for the light socket assembly to come down through the hood.

The factory hood has large oval cutouts in the framework and it is inside these that the ovals get cut.

The wires just come from each light, mate together and gets clipped into a hole on the undeside framework of the hood. Then the lights get plugged into a connector at the firewall. This harness is available aftermarket.

Let me know if i can be of any further assistance....best regards...John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi John. Thanks for the input.

I'm familiar with the 69' scoop as I had it on the red Mach 1 I had in high school (see Avitar). it even had the "pie" cutout in the hood which is quite rare from what I understand.

Anyway, my current 69' was originally my late father's who ordered it new in late 68'. I recently purchased it back from a family member who took major liberties in making it a 69/70 combo-platter (see my profile for a couple photos). The scoop has been added and as mentioned the under-hood access holes are there. My concern is in drilling the access holes from the top of the scoop so that the electrical can pass up into the hood scoop turn signal lenses. I'm going to see if I can track down that template you mentioned. Also hoping to get some input from you/other VMF members on best way to drill the hood without screwing up the paint too much.

Thanks again for your input.

Best,

James1969

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hello James:

Yes, if you can locate that template..great. If you have trouble ..then i can look for mine and send it to you and you can return it once you're finished with it.

With those oval shaped cutouts that need to be drilled from the top, i drew them out first with a grease pencil utilizing the template.
Then i picked a holesaw that matched the corners of the oval. I cut out two complete circles and then cut out the metal that joined them.

It wasn't really that hard to do....intimidating for sure..but certainly not hard.

I used lots of wide masking tape to do my markings on and certainly all around the area so i didn't slip with a drill or anything. Centerpunching with a spring loaded punch is a must in my opinion.

Keep in touch.....John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts