Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my full length Hooker Super comp. headers on my 69 mustang and I’m having an interference problem with the welded in transmission support under the car. On the drivers side the header flange hits the welded in support. Has anyone had this same problem and what did they do about it?

The bolt in trans support I have in the car now is for a small block with a 4-speed and I’m going to change that out for a big block support and I hope that will bring the back of the trans down enough. Otherwise I’m not sure what to do about it. I’m thinking when I put exhaust on the car maybe have the muffler shop try putting a pipe in the header and bend it down a little.

The problem with that is they are jet-hot coated and I don’t want it to flake off or anything.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Had two different sets of Hookers on my 4 speed CJ and had no interference problem with the transmission support. I would assume if you use a big block support you will be ok.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will see what happens, Thanks

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
the only prob i had with headers on my old 69 bigblock with headers was too much heat on the starter, i urned up a few starters.... you might want to put some kind of heat shielding around that starter...... jace

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only prob i had with headers on my old 69 bigblock with headers was too much heat on the starter, i urned up a few starters.... you might want to put some kind of heat shielding around that starter...... jace
I'm kind of thinking that will be a problem. The headers are jet-hot coated and when the first starter goes, I'll go with a mini one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts