Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a 69 Mach 1 Flip Down Gas Cap. Any suggestions? They have one at CJ but it doesn't have good reviews (and like most, I have had issues with their stuff in the past). Any tips on where to get a cap which will actually work? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Go with National Parts Depot.

Reactions: RCL23

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
id check on ebay and pay the pipper

I remember reading that repops are just for show use ony

the one above dont look right as we dont use the inner twist cap

Reactions: RCL23

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
I remember reading that repops are just for show use only the one above dont look right as we dont use the inner twist cap
The Drake cap comes with both pop-off and twist off parts.

·
Radar
6,882 Posts
I'd be surprised if they don't all come from the same manufacturer, regardless of whose brand name may be on the box. Be aware that the small screws that hold things together on these repops can/will loosen and slip over time causing the cap to flip open inadvertently which is both aggravating and embarrassing. This can easily be solved with a few dabs of LOCTITE. Most, if not all, come with provisions for either an inner "safety" cap install or the original type sprung seal if you prefer that. Your choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be surprised if they don't all come from the same manufacturer, regardless of whose brand name may be on the box. Be aware that the small screws that hold things together on these repops can/will loosen and slip over time causing the cap to flip open inadvertently which is both aggravating and embarrassing. This can easily be solved with a few dabs of LOCTITE. Most, if not all, come with provisions for either an inner "safety" cap install or the original type sprung seal if you prefer that. Your choice.
Very helpful. thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
As Stated, the new repro pop-open's come with a screw-on cap as well as the pop-open/plunger assembly, but instructions state "for show use only". The screw-on cap is for street driven cars and this is the only way Ford will allow manufactures to reproduce these pop-open gas cap assemblies today.

I've got a '69 GT Hardtop and the gas cap for it was unique / not available when I restored my car in the 80's. I first bought a '69 Mach 1 pop-open on for it, then later bought a '68 GT pop-open that I then swapped on the red-lettered "GT" door on the '69 base (different taillight panel curvatures) to make it look more correct.

Finally back in 2012 Scott Drake started selling a perfect repro of the '69 GT gas cap. At first, I assembled it as a "pop-open" figuring I had been driving it this way for 30 years. Later I converted it to the screw-on cap behind the pop-open door as I caved to the logic that it really is a much safer option. On the repro's, there is a spring on the door hinge so that with the screw-on cap in place there is tension on the door to keep it from rattling when closed (which the pop-open plunger spring did originally).

I had a friend back in the 90's with a worn out '69 Mach 1 pop-open gas cap on his car .... the catch on the cap was so worn out, that it would pop-open just driving around town. I mentioned it to him once when I noticed it popped open as he was driving around one day and I ended up selling / giving him a used screw-on cap assembly I had laying around. Since then, I've heard this was a common problem when these cars got to a certain age and even with a non-worn latch these caps were known to pop-open in a rear end collision. Which I'm sure made some accidents worse than they would have been had a screw-on cap been hidden behind the pop-open door.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts