G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have recently located a 1969 Mach 1.
vin# 9T02M184622
DATA TAG 63C M5 3D 31C 17 5 X
I decoded data tag as follows, any errors I would appreciate the correct answer to any of my screw ups ...
63C - MACH 1
M5 - WHIMBELDON WHITE ?? please forgive spelling errors /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
3D - RED, MACH 1 - VINYL INTERIOR
31C - MARCH 1969 ??
17 - WASHINGTON (DC OR STATE OF?)
5 - 2:83 ??
X - AUTOMATIC FMX

The color code is kinda weird. The books i have show no two digit color. The vehicle is white (badly faded) but it does not appear to be the Whimbeldon White, any ideas?
The vehicle needs new doors, the bottoms are rusted out - does anyone know where I can repop doors or good used ones?
The vehicle appears to be all original, and does run. Is there any particular areas that I need to examine for damage/rust?
The right rear frame rail needs to be sectioned and the left front torque box and floor area definately needs to be replaced.
I am just trying to get as much info about this car before I procede. The last mustang burned me pretty good and I do not want to have a bunch of parts laying around for a 1969 mustang like I do for a 1965.
Thanks in advance!
Paul

·
Registered
612 Posts
The best you can do with the doors is to have them re-skinned,if the interior frame is in good shape. Otherwise, you will have to find some donor doors which are very $$ in rust free, or find rusty ones with good frames and have them re-skinned. Other places typical on 69's are floors, the cowl and rear quarters and wheelhouse. If those are bad, then you gotta look at the trunk floor, frame rail and torque boxes. Oh, and almost always the battery apron is shot... My advice is to make sure the car is complete, because parts for 69/70's are crazy (consoles, seats, etc.)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
To begin with, The 351C did not debut until '70; the M code is used for 69 351W 4v and 70 351C 4v. You likely have the W. There are obvious external differences between the C and W. The W will have 6 valve cover bolts while the C will have 8. The W's water neck is in the intake manifold while the C's is in the top of the block.

Matt at Ponderosa Mustang's is advertising new repro door SKINS (not the shell IIRC) for 69-70's. If you do purshase used doors, remember the the shell for the coupe/conv/fb is the same but the glass is different; you need fb glass. The 70 glass also is different than 69's. 70 is a bolt-in type while 69 is glue-in. I believe that if you install the 70 door/glass, there is a chrome strip on the 1/4 glass that would have to be changed but look into that further. 70 door glass is better due to its bolt-in quality over the 69 glue-in. The glue tends to fail over time and will need to be re-glued.

69-70 parts tend to be more expensive than the earlier models but more parts are available repro than in years past.

Rust will occur in the "normal" mustang rust areas.

The Mach's are hot now in terms of value once they are fixed up but the price of a project car still needs to be priced as that, a "project car".

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
DSO 17 is Washington DC, but the region includes Maryland, Virginia, and parts of Pennsylvania.

Two-character color codes were used on 1969 Mach 1s to note that the hood came with black-out paint.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the color M5 is white [w/black out hood treatment]
all 351 mach`s in 69 were windsers.and most 351 2V in 70 were windsors also,depemding on time and plant some 70s had the 351C 2V.in any case the engine code in the vin is H,as your car is a M you have the
[or should] 351W 4V
sounds like a nice color combo,but as said early on,if its missing any parts beware!
69/70 machs are on the rise price wise,and so are the parts
most people cant afford the boss cars,hipos,shelbys so the next best thing? Mach !s
good luck Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response, I will definately have to check out the door glass issue.
Is there anywhere I can go to get a book on Mach 1s? I have been to Borders and Waldenbooks and they only carry the most basic of Mustang books. I doubt that this is a rare car but it does have some neat options. Plus, I have never seen a white Mach with a Red stripe.
Also, do you know of any supplier that has parts for the Mach 1? I have looked at my NPD catalog, and they offer some parts but not much.
Thanks again!
Paul

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Regarding you question about parts source for a Mach, remember that the Mach's are largely a "trim" package (unlike say, the Boss 302) and most the unique parts (exterior stripes, carpet, seat covers) are available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts