Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I purchased and watched the Bad Shoe video several times and then tacked my FMX myself. It actually worked when I was done but my makeshift fix for the replacement front band did not. I sent the original band out for re-lining, pulled the trans, replaced the front band, put it all back together and now the trans is working great!
View attachment 736637 View attachment 736638 View attachment 736639 View attachment 736640
Thanks for the info on the band, David. I saw that you went through yours. I’m confident these are super solid transmissions, and do not hesitate to use it once I rebuild it. It’s getting ready to go on the table!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice project and great taste for choosing a 69, they are the fastest!! <wink-wink>

I'll pass by and check the progress. I went back to work on mine after almost 2 years doing nothing on it except driving it from time to time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After many struggles and noting too many questionable repairs, I decided to have the car media blasted to reveal all it's sins..I'm very pleased with the decision.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally have my 69 in the garage!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Now for the ugly part(well, one of them!) Upper cowl removed; parts on order.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Edited an unexplained repost...new format blah!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just found and read your thread. Kudos on getting your Mach 1. I bought mine back in 1989 and had it blasted also. With it taken down to bare metal, you will know every nut and bolt, and how it works. It is truly a labor of love, and therapeutic as well.

While it was a bit of work, I don't regret adding convertible inner rockers and grafting in the hump from a one piece seat riser. Those mods really stiffened up the chassis. When your body is stripped is the time to do it. Just saying.

Mine was a 17 year build due to life getting in the way. I've driven my car across country and love it. Hopefully you'll enjoy yours as much. My only regret is painting it red, and not the original Silver Jade. Good luck brother.

And btw, I agree with you that Stacey is a but bit weird :)

20190510_210219.png
20200115_185157.png

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the encouragement. Too many cars with bad work to not start from scratch. Problem is, there’s rust in every darn crevice! I hope this takes 4 and not 17, but if it turns out as nice as yours, I’ll be happy no matter how long. Thanks! Greg.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Get some primer on it soon pt it will flash rust after the media blast.
Surprisingly, there is no notable rust after over a month in bare metal. Southern poly's VERY helpful tech guy suggested leaving it bare and do all metalwork before sealer and filler (I kind of argued with him...). He suggested many shops leave them 3-6 months; any rust that would form could be hit with 80 grit and primed. Go figure!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Removed lower cowl and replaced left hinge pillar. Test fit the surprisingly well fitting CJPP replacement. I am going to repair the toeboards and front frame rails before I install the cowl and prime the front in.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts