Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Just saw your previous post on the tranny... i was thinking of doing mine... was it difficult?
I broke down the original one, but it was so rusty, i worried I couldn't use the VIN stamped case. The car came with another FMX that had the wrong shift linkage. I wanted the original case with the non rusted guts, so I figured best handled by a trans builder. I was happy with the results, but he was a very nice trans guy(you understand if you've dealt with them!)

I had a tough time sourcing parts for the FMX. I used a stage 1 Boss Hogg converter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
i think your work looks pretty good. are you doing your own tranny or did you send to a shop?
These old trannys aren't usually too bad. @69GT350H encouraged me here and has extensive details on his FMX build he did himself.

Thanks for the encouragement. This weekend was tough!
I purchased and watched the Bad Shoe video several times and then tacked my FMX myself. It actually worked when I was done but my makeshift fix for the replacement front band did not. I sent the original band out for re-lining, pulled the trans, replaced the front band, put it all back together and now the trans is working great!
View attachment 736637 View attachment 736638 View attachment 736639 View attachment 736640

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The driver side was very time consuming. This side had fabricated frame rails, oddly welded torque box, and a drop in floor pan that was cut too high and bondoed in for some reason?! I had to pie cut the floor to get it to fit at all.Still have to patch the too universal toe board patch, but the floor, torque box, and frame are (finally) welded in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Finally have solid toe boards and engine bay. Sprayed SP epoxy for my first time. I made a bloody mess, but the car is awesome. Been waiting for this for a long time. Finally, some paint on the car!!

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Great work. The oil pan looks like the ford light blue and the engine the ford dark blue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Great work. The oil pan looks like the ford light blue and the engine the ford dark blue.
Yeah.. the dipstick tube from Scott Drake came in the correct color. I guess the way overdue pan came in the later color?
And thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Looking forward to your impressions as you install the AAW kit.
I appreciate your looking in on my progress. I like the layout, and it will progress slowly as I install and wire the engine and interior stuff.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts