Vintage Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
The guy described to me as a “genius“ did this kind of wonderful work on both “finished” quarter panels. This was the good side by the way

Sooooo.... I ordered 2 quarters on CJPP s
Black Friday sale and went to cutting. Sigh.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
It looks like the genius that worked on my car put the whole left side trunk piece a half inch too far up, but I’m going to fix it the best way I can. I’m still working .Hope you guys don’t think I’m a hack I just moved the drop off instead of replacing the brace and trunk section

·
4,715 Posts
It looks like the genius that worked on my car put the whole left side trunk piece a half inch too far up, but I’m going to fix it the best way I can. I’m still working .Hope you guys don’t think I’m a hack I just moved the drop off instead of replacing the brace and trunk section
My "fabricator" seemed to have a problem putting this area of my car back together as well. I was able to go back in and fix a small issue, but like yours, he was about 1 inch off with the drop-off. This resulted in the rear lower fenders being 1 inch wider to which he centered the tail light panel. The only way I saw to fix that was to tear the driver's rear end apart, possibly replacing parts and re-welding it. I opted to work with what was there and now, you cant see it.

So fix what you can while you can else you end up like me and finding that other parts don't fit/line up properly in the future.

We are looking at the drivers rear fender where the rear of the trunk meets the dropoff. Note the tabs that should be bent at a 90 deg have been bent out to make contact with the dropoff, that is about 1 inch too far out.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
The car looked good on initial inspection, but as I peeled the rind, I’m finding just about everything done wrong. I’m going to have to mock up the whole car to fit the quarters, but the initial fit of the driver looks really good. I’m not leaving myself any surprises. In the end, this car is a total gut job. It’s just time and money—right?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Finally getting some parts in from CJPP.. Welded and ground the bracing and the inner wheel well. Put in a couple of small patches to the inner wheel house and fixed the popped spot welds on the bracing. The new parts fit really well.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The work looks good so far. It is also good to hear you seem to be having a good experience with CJPP. I have bought a lot of parts from them over the last 3 years. However the negative experiences some have had makes me look for alternatives first.

On the quarter panels, was the metal the same thickness as the original or thinner? I may be looking for replacement front fenders and possibly a hood down the road.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
The work looks good so far. It is also good to hear you seem to be having a good experience with CJPP. I have bought a lot of parts from them over the last 3 years. However the negative experiences some have had makes me look for alternatives first.

On the quarter panels, was the metal the same thickness as the original or thinner? I may be looking for replacement front fenders and possibly a hood down the road.
Thanks for looking in. The biggest issue with CJPP is how slow the order comes and some stuff is on back order but with the rate I’m moving it hasn’t hurt me that much. The metal seems to be good but I had aftermarket panels kind of Frankensteined in anyway so it’s hard to tell. I haven’t had a quality issue yet, and sometimes they send me the dynacorn even when I order the cheap stuff. Customer service is better reached through email than phone. If you are not impatient, the sale prices, reward points, and free shipping are worth the frustration when you are on a budget with so much work to do like I am.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Installed the Monte Carlo bar while jacking on the engine crossmember to spread the shock towers so I could mock the car up to go towards the lining up the new b pillar and quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Installed the Monte Carlo bar while jacking on the engine crossmember to spread the shock towers so I could mock the car up to go towards the lining up the new b pillar and quarter panel.
Nice, I have to do B Pillars on mine as well. unfortunately it seems everyone is back ordered on them til March

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I went with the quarter panel skins and really regret it. You are doing the right thing by using full quarters!
I think you and I were in the same situation with the way the quarters were cut if CJ pony parts hadn’t had such a good sale I would’ve been not sure what to do

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Nice, I have to do B Pillars on mine as well. unfortunately it seems everyone is back ordered on them til March
Wow the B pillarswere available but they were waiting to ship the rockers that’s what held me up but CJ shipped the quarters and the the pillars earlier after I complained. The rockers just came - two months later

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Shame to cut up a full rocker, but at 59 bucks, I’m glad to section this this thing out to save the original, good metal. I’ll have to fill somewhat of a gap at the wheelhouse, but it really is turning out better than expected.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts