Vintage Mustang Forums banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Finally got enough storm damage fixed in the house to not feel guilty about working on my car again. Got the b pillar on the driver side, the patch on the rocker, and the bulk of the easy part of the quarter welded in. Overall I’m happy with all but the speed of progress. .

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Decided to install the right quarter and tie it all together at the trunk filler before I attach the quarters to the roof. Soooo. Hacked the pretty nicely LEADED in lower quarter. Thank God the outer wheelhouse was replaced already on this side. The PO actually did nice work here

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I bought a patch for where the spring shackle mounts due to rust. I was going to change it after the quarters. Turns out the right side was whacked pretty good and the right side of the car was 1/2 “ higher than the left. So I gotta replace it first.

weird how people put new parts on a bent frame. 2nd car I’ve seen this on.🙄

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you butt weld that new section of frame rail in or do some interior flange as well? I've got to do the same ~12" section replacement on mine but still unsure as to the best way to do it. But my drop-off is completely out so it's all open and accessible.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
Did you butt weld that new section of frame rail in or do some interior flange as well? I've got to do the same ~12" section replacement on mine but still unsure as to the best way to do it. But my drop-off is completely out so it's all open and accessible.
No butt weld on that part I would think. The section had a recessed part designed to slip in the cut rail that was too shallow for my comfort level on frame. Plus, I always keep as much original metal as possible. I cut the patch down to about 9” and cut it down the corners of the box. I then drove it into the cut frame section, and kind of fillet welded the seam and plug welded the sections that went about 2-3” inside the original frame rail. Then a bunch of blending made it reasonably presentable. I’ll clean it all up and fix pinholes before I epoxy the rear section.I didn’t take pics of the mods to the new part, but here’s a crude representation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the explanation and drawing @665spd, that’s exactly how I’m thinking I’ll be doing mine. I’m new to metalwork and I’m trying to piece it all together in my head,

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Thanks for the explanation and drawing @665spd, that’s exactly how I’m thinking I’ll be doing mine. I’m new to metalwork and I’m trying to piece it all together in my head,
I’m winging it myself. Best of luck. The good news is-you can always redo it!!😜

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Where did you buy the frame extension? looks like a decent piece.
Good ol’ CJPP! Free shipping and RPM points help to soften the less than NPD service...I’m expecting a Father’s Day and other holiday sales to pick up more stuff.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Initial welding is done on RH quarter. Car is on the ground to do topside welding. Overall, everything is fitting well. Just a few tweaks. Considering the previous work, I’m very pleased.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Preliminary welding on my “filler” pieces for the normally leaded area. The original lead covered a lot of imperfections in this area, so I won’t feel too bad about some filler in this area. The filler panel above the trunk fit better than expected. A lot of welds for a small panel.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts