Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: If you've seen this car listed previously, we've dropped the price further, and are motivated to sell. This is priced right at $22,900 OBO, and we'll take offers, so we expect to sell soon. Make a REAL offer, and we'll consider.
------------------------------
1969 Mach 1
Beautiful, original condition, EXTREMELY well cared for California car
Silver Jade with black interior (original and current color)
351W, 2bbl
Automatic
Built in San Jose
Yes, the rim-blow steering wheel horn works
No, the rear seat does not fold down
99K original miles
Always garaged
This car is all original, never changed or molested as far as we know
Runs great, plus recent work:
- New tires (less than 50 miles)
- New brake master cylinder
- New motor mount
- Front transmission seal
- Battery
- Carb overhaul
- Other minor items

Here's what we know about the car:
* Purchased new by the original owner, and only owned for about 6-12 months.
* Current owner's grandfather purchased the car from the original owner, and kept it for over 30 years, before giving it to his [adult] grandson and his wife, who drove it regularly, but only as a garaged weekender/pleasure car.
* Grandfather passed away, and Grandson moved to Los Angeles, so car was stored in grandmother's garage in Lafayette, California.
* Grandson recently decided to sell the car, so I, a friend of the grandson and local to the car, removed it from storage, and had recent work done, to bring the car back to full tune and drivability (new tires, tune, etc.).
* The car is now with me, the friend, in my garage. I am selling the car for the owner, who's in Los Angeles, and busy with a toddler and brand new twins.

As far as we know, the car is all original, never changed. The grandfather had many other cars over the years, but this Mustang was his pride and joy. It was very nicely and correctly repainted in the original color at some point, likely about 10 years ago (we're not sure), but paint quality is fresh and looks great. It has been driven very little since that time.

All body parts are original, as far as we know. We have been over and over the car, and cannot find ANY filler or any repairs to the body. Strut towers are strong, no cracks. Body/chassis is best part about the car. It's obvious that it has been garaged its whole life.

Engine is strong, runs great. Great driver.

Again, no body or paint damage, but a couple of trim pieces would be nice to replace: the grill strip surround on the right side, the chrome piece on the leading edge of the hood.

Interior is beautiful/original. There is a small area on the outboard strip on the passenger bottom seat edge, about 1" square. Inboard side of the driver's seat needs new seatback pin (bracket?). The driver-side door pull has black tape on it - we're assuming a vinyl crack underneath.

Clock works intermittently. Signal indicators on rear of hood scoop are not functional - maybe a fuse.

Driver's door sags a bit. Opens/closes fine, but sags a few millimeters. Not a big deal.

We have pointed out minor flaws in the interest of disclosure, but I can tell you that NOBODY who has seen the car thus far has told me they were disappointed. Our former asking prices were too high, which is why I'm publishing this ad again. Now that we've received feedback from even more knowledgable Mustang people, which we very much appreciate, we believe that our new, lower price is more appropriate/marketable.

Again, if you're looking for a stunning, original car, or are looking for an EXCELLENT candidate for a full blown rotisserie resto, you MUST see this car.

The car is in Walnut Creek, California (SF Bay Area). Asking price is $22,900 obo. Serious inquiries only, please.

See photos at:
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q58/leecarnahan/
and SCROLL DOWN THAT PAGE TO SEE THE PHOTOS

For more information, or to see the car, contact me:

Lee Carnahan
[email protected]

Thank you very much for looking at my ad, and good luck in your search!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is my account of what I saw when I went to look at the car in person. Was prepared to make an offer based on the quality of the repaint. I have not made an offer as of yet because I feel that we are way too far apart on price. The quality of the repaint was poor in my opinion. My opinion is based on the fact that it was peeling away from the mirror gaskets that had been painted over as well as the door handle gaskets that where painted body color. The gaps between the fender/quarter extensions and the body panels were also painted over. There were noticeable paint chips and dents that had been painted over and the blacked out hood paint had not been done correctly. That was disappointing for me, but there is alot of good on this car as well. What I saw was a car that was rust free. I did not find any rust in the torque boxes, floors, doors, trunk, drop offs etc.. The right rear inner fender apron top was starting to bubble, but that was all I could find. Driver's seat back will need to be repaired as well as the door hinges as was mentioned above. The seat covers are not originals, but redone nicely. The door panels are original, but will need to be redone. Underside of hood has significant surface rust/strictly cosmetic, but the area under the scoop has been cut out for more air flow. Overall a very nice car, but still too high for me to jump in.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sounds like a nice car that needs to be taken apart and repainted along with additional detailing. It's difficult when you have a car like that to understand that it's going to take several thousand dollars and a lot of time to get it right. I personally would love to take on a project such as this one but the price would have to allow me enough room to make the additional investment in time and money. Thanks for the feedback...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the guy representing the seller. More info below, and new asking price of $23,900 OR BEST OFFER.

Thanks, "Sohcammer," for taking the time to come out and look at the car, and for posting your feedback. (I'd call you by your real name, but will not disclose it. ;-)

Sohcammer knows his stuff, and also gave me some good information and helpful feedback on the car, even after he decided not to purchase it. I appreciated that.

Since I'm selling it, I want to point out a few things, and clarify, if possible.

The seat back issue, which was discovered by Sohcammer and I the day that Sohcammer looked at the car, is a metal pin on the driver's side seat bracket that came off, so the seat back isn't properly attached on that inboard side. It appears that a new metal seat bracket on the bottom of that side may fix the problem. It appears that it is an issue with the seat bottom, not the seat back. I have not investigated further to date.

The hood is an interesting issue. I'm not sure if Sohcammer was saying that the holes were original, but enlarged? If so, I'd be surprised that the holes were enlarged over the years, but I'm not sure if I understand what he's saying. Anyway, I have heard several theories on this, and would generally defer to Sohcammer on it, but here's a more detailed description, and what people have said about it... The hood has an obvious factory cutout in it for a shaker, with stamped-in strengthening "ribs" and such. However, within that cutout is a bolted-in metal plate underneath the hood scoop. That plate insert has holes in it, underneath the hood scoop. It also has a non-metal sort of flap inside the scoop to direct air from the scoop and into the engine compartment. It's like cold-air induction, if you will, but the car has a closed air cleaner. So it's as if it's theoretically functional, but in fact, really isn't, unless you were to put an open-air air cleaner on top of the motor. It certainly looks factory to me, due to the hood structure with shaker cutout, air flap, scoop, and the fact that the rear of the scoop has turn indicators, and the side has "351" emblems that look factory, etc. Some people who looked at the car were intrigued by it, and some said it might have just been something odd that Ford did to some cars. I don't believe for a second that it's aftermarket, as the hood structure and cutout is very clearly built for some sort of shaker or scoop, and the scoop has the turn indicators. Any additional insight or feedback on this is welcomed and appreciated.

As for dents mentioned, I personally would call this car dent-free. There is maybe a tiny ding that was painted over on the very edge of the rear fender lip, and a very small, shallow crease/ding about 1.5 inches long at the bottom of the passenger door, also apparently painted over. I didn't notice these for a while. I, and others, could find no evidence of dents, bondo, or anything of that nature on the car. Other than those two items, which are very minor (to me), I can't think of any others. There are a FEW paint blemishes/small chips that need touch-up, and some chrome trim dings, but no big deal. This is not a restored car - with that in mind, it's pretty amazing.

Sohcammer's description of the paint condition I would agree with. I'd add that it's an extremely presentable car, just not up to Socammer's...with all due respect...very high standards. I agree that those details should have been taken care of at the repaint, especially in retrospect. But it still is a very presentable car as-is. Oddly, some of the trim pieces were removed during repaint, like the lettering on the trunklid, but the doorhandles and antenna were not. A re-paint would be awesome on this car, but depending on what the buyer is looking for, I wouldn't say that it needs to be repainted...As a weekender, the paint is very nice; as a showcar, those issues [gaps, etc.] would need to be corrected.

Underhood detail, as described, would be a really nice thing to do with this car. The motor is clean, runs well, etc., but could use cosmetic detailing to spruce it up, including the underside of the hood.

The price, as posted, is "OR BEST OFFER," and we recently dropped asking price to $23,900. Potential buyers can make REASONABLE offers, and we'll consider them. Don't waste our time, and we won't waste yours. It's a beautiful car that's very original. We want to sell the car, and at a fair price for everybody involved.

Thanks all. Any feedback on this, public or private, is much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just posted a new/lower price. The owner and I have other things to do, so we're motivated to sell! Please see ad. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I am confused as to what the price is?!
Would middle teens buy it>?
I have someone looking. Let me know or better call me at 201-961-3433 and I could call you back so it is not your toll.
Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asking price is $22,900 OBO.

Sorry for the confusion. I edited the original posting, so the info at the top of the original post is new/recent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer. The car sold on Saturday [April 14]. I won't disclose the price - I'm a believer that that's something the new owner has the right to disclose, or not - but I will say that it was significantly higher than $15K.

Thanks again to Sohcammer for helpful info and advice. [He didn't buy this car.] Good luck to him, and to you all in your searches.

- Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, same car. Wow. Well, I did my best to sell it to a private owner/enthusiast who would baby it and keep it in the U.S. I did not intend on selling it to a broker/flipper, and did not do so knowingly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts