Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to figure out how the rocker panel moldings are attached to the rockers on my Mach. The moldings are original to the car but the car incurred some front end damage years ago and went through a repaint and assembly, none of which I did. When I removed them recently, I noted two screws in each molding, see picture. I've labeled the orientation of the pieces on the car, hole closest to the edge was at the front both sides. Looking at the Jim Osborn assembly manual, I see no screws passing through the molding itself. I'm wondering if someone ran screws through the moldings in order to secure them? Can someone advise?

If someone incorrectly ran screws through my moldings, they are damaged. I believe they could be repaired and recoated but not sure how costly. Also, I'm not finding the hardware to reconnect them. Thoughts?

The other option is I purchase re-pops. The re-pops come with all the attachment hardware, can anyone comment on the re-pops?

Thanks,

John
Untitled-4.jpg

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The rocker trim is fastened via rivets. There are 4 or 5 plastic brackets riveted to the rocker and the trim clips to that.

The fender end had a stud that went thru the fender and had a nut behind it.

I just welded up the holes on my 68 as I dont plan on using the trim.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I think you have front and rear labeled wrong but stand to be corrected. Also on my re-pops there is no hole 1/4 from the front.

EDIT: Looked up a thread from '05 that also said a screw held the molding in place in the rear. The rest is with pop rivets and plastic squares (if you will) that the molding "clips" to. The front has a clip that goes inside the molding and it has a stud that goes through a hole in the fender and is held there with a nut on the stud.

Allen

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you have front and rear labeled wrong but stand to be corrected. Also on my re-pops there is no hole 1/4 from the front.

EDIT: Looked up a thread from '05 that also said a screw held the molding in place in the rear. The rest is with pop rivets and plastic squares (if you will) that the molding "clips" to. The front has a clip that goes inside the molding and it has a stud that goes through a hole in the fender and is held there with a nut on the stud.

Allen
Actually Allen, you are correct on how they screw in at the rear. Apparently, mine were put on backwards during the repaint all those years ago. How do you like your re-pops and where did you acquire them from? I'm getting mixed reports on them in so much as how they fit and such.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Actually Allen, you are correct on how they screw in at the rear. Apparently, mine were put on backwards during the repaint all those years ago. How do you like your re-pops and where did you acquire them from? I'm getting mixed reports on them in so much as how they fit and such.

Thanks,
John
I would say they fit so-so. I haven't had this car very long and it is not on the road yet (engine troubles). I didn't purchase them, they came with the car still in the plastic and I think they were from NPD (all the other new parts that came with the car came from NPD). These were new but purchased around 2004 so not sure if they have remained the same or not.

Allen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts