Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an earlier question about using the high back seat with a 5 point harness. I guess it won't work out. So my next question is: would it work to cut a slit in the seat back to pass the belts through at shoulder level? I already have a 6 point bar installed. I could get different seats with a lower back (maybe Fox body Mustang LX seats or?-don't need anything fancy since it will be a limited street use car) but wouldn't know what to do with the Mach 1 seats. Can't believe how one thing seems to always lead to another. :(

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm not sure what is internal in the seat, but I wouldn't recommend hacking them up: if the hole isn't properly sealed/reinforced, I would think it would chew it up, ruining the upholstery and maybe the seat.

I'm pretty sure you could sell those seats fairly easily and for a pretty good amount. You could try to make some late model seats work, but you might have the same problem with the shoulder belts not having a "path" to run through.

When you say "limited street use" does that mean you'll be driving mostly on the track? If that's the case, I'd suggest you look into some aftermarket seats. If you don't need access to the rear seat, you can find fixed-back seats relatively cheaply, otherwise you'll want to look into a reclining seat.

Here's a post from a few days ago where I put some info on Procar seats...

Good Luck. You might drop DaveG a PM. He's my bro-in-law and has a 69 Mach One (that used to be mine!) and he's doing new seats as well. He tends to be very thorough and practical, so he's always a good resource!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lance for your input. I'll look into the fixed back seats - maybe from Summit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There are several seat manufacures out there that can supply what your looking for. MMFF has some ads in it, as well as tons of other mags and web sites. I agree, I'd not cut up a Mach seat to make what your looking for. By the way, when I get my 69 finished, lets have a run or two, loser buting the beer!

69 Mach 1 CJ, 4 speed toploader, 411 posi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts