Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk has a spoiler. My trunk hinges have these coil springs on them. The trunk will not stay open because of a lack of tension to hold open. Did these come with torsion bars or are the coil springs correct? If coil is right how do you adjust them or where do you go for replacements. If it is supposed to have torsion bars where do you get those? Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you have the torsion bars, there are 3 stifness settings; jimk351c you have yours on the softest. you have to turn the rod on fixed end, the bottom will clip into the different notches down there. I am not farmiliar with the coil spring design, however. sorry.

- Jason

G

·
0 Posts
on the 69 stang you need the prop rod the coils springs are correct

on the cougar i believe you just need to tighten your torsion bars that first notch is the lowest tension take a pair of vice grips and attach them to the end of the torsion bar that is in the lower left of your zoomed in pic. attach them to that 1/2 portion that is sticking out then be prepared to muscle it into the very first knotch. then repeat on the drivers side. i had to do this on a customers 71 conv and mach after he added the spoilers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a 69 Mach 1 a few years ago with a spoiler and I didn't have a prop rod. I remember reading somewhere only 1970 cars required a prop rod due to a heavier spoiler that year. They were heavier because of a different material used to make them more durable. I think they said the 69 spoilers were prone to water damage or something. Anybody else hear this story?

·
Registered
873 Posts
My GT has the coils, I'm assuming all 69s have the same setups. I have a spoiler and have no problems with the trunk staying open, in fact, it's damn near perfect, trunk almost pops open when I turn the key. I wish I could help you with adjusting them, but I haven't had to do that yet so I don't know, maybe with the trunk closed and from within the trap door you could pull the end and set it. Frankly I don't know, but there shouldn't be a prop rod or anything else there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts