Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hardest thing I've done is find someone that will clean up the undercoating and bunk from the bottom of my Mach. They propose to scrape, brush and then us POR to paint underneath. Other people whom I asked want to strip and mediablast on a rotisserie. A little extreme for me especially since they also have a 2 year wait. My plan is to do the underneath and install new interior pieces. My last step will be exteror paint. The car is in excellent shape and is by no means a rustbucket require dipping etc. Most pepole probably wouldn't go as far a I am but I want it to be the best without a total redo. I paid $24K for it and have 10K in the engine as well as the new interior pieces. Short of it is, was the vehicle undercoated at the factory and would black POR be right of is the chassis paint the body color. Thanks in advance.

Bryant

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Where was your car built? If it is a NJ car, it has a red-oxide paint (not primer!). Look at the Concourse threads about undercarriage painting.

Bring it up to Melbourne! I'll do it! I have plenty of paint left over. See my SCJ sight for pics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I would love to bring it up to Melbourne however there is plenty of black undercoating to remove before I get to that stage. The person doing it will scrape and brush the crud off. I find it intersting that a Red Oxide paint was used. My thought is the black would have looked better. If I were to strip the car out and put it on a rotisserie I would not hesitate on the Red Oxide. Unfortunately since the work will be done on a lift without removeal of the engine and trans it will probably end up looking better in black since the PO undercoated the car. It may have been done as early as the original sale. I don't know. I was hoping for black, however it is obvious that it will not end up concours. The person doing the work will use POR-15 and then a chassis black. I probably shouldn't bother however I don't want the objection from whonever purchases the car from me to complain the underneath is cruddy.

Bryant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts