Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a '69 Mach and wondering about that large blacked out hood...

I'm wondering how many have restored their '69's and not finished the hood this way. I know it's not original but that's a lot of flat black and isn't there a wax problem with it?

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts and pics of cars without the black out or finished another way. Mine has the shaker...

Thx.

Tim

·
Registered
571 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't restore a Mach without the blackout treatment, it's part of the look of the car. That said, it's your car, so who cares what I think ;). The correct factory paint they used for that is a pain to deal with when it comes to wax. If you wax it, it doesn't look flat anymore and it gets wax buildup on it. If you don't wax it, it's a pain to try and work around it. My 70' had the flat paint, but on my 69' they used a glossy enamel. It's easier to take care of, but I don't like it because it doesn't look right. When i replace my hood, I'm getting the correct paint put on it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I didn't want to paint mine after I shot the color on it. So I didn't. A couple friends still give me s*** about it, but their cars aren't together so I toss that back at em......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I did it to my coupe restomod. I will admit that it is more difficult to take care of. Maybe you could just do a different texture to get the same effect with the easier care...or clear coat it?? Its your car, do it how you like.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I keep a word doc with tips from the site here is a few that I had concerning the paint. You can use the search function to find them.

7. Hood was painted low gloss black - Ditzler: #9295.

I have not personally tried this yet, nor has my painter obtained a sample, but another member used a Mercedes flat black. The paint code for the Mercedes flat black is Ditzler DCC 9971. It is suppose to be washable without getting water spots, you can get wax on it and wipe it off.

car was painted with sherwin williams base/clear and the hood blackout was done with DuPont Hot Hues hot rod black base/flat clear. the hot rod black base/flat clear is awesome since you can actualy wax it if you want unlike the normal flat black paints also just the fact that it's not glossy is perfect, i love it and would highly recommend it unless you're going for a concours resto.

The closet match to the original for the '69 is a PPG Duracyl DDL 9423. Good Luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 71 Mach1 came from the factory without the blackout hood, spoilers or side stripes. It still has the hood scoops though. They were all optional in 71. I assume this was the case in 69 too?. Anyway as already said, it's your car, dare to be different! Too many lemmings already with blackout hoods.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Just keeping a solid colour looks kind of cool in my opinion - kind of a Boss 429 look.
However, a guy in our local club painted his regular automotive two-stage (glossy) black, and it looks great, too, negating any waxing problem. In fact, we used to tease him that he just created MORE area he had to wax by doing that!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question. My mach has a blackout hood done in flat black, although I am not sure if it is the correct finish. Anyway, last summer, while working on my car I got some junk on the hood around the hood pins. I washed it and (before I knew better) I waxed that little area. Wax pad turned black and flat turned a little glossy-er. Is there any product I can use to bring it back to the flat state? And is there anything you DO use on the flat black paint?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Great write up here on 69 Mach hood treatment, including info on an alternative paint allowing easier maintenance. Mike does great work, poke around his site, I can spend hours checking out his builds.....

Mustangs By Mike :: Mach 1 Hood Blackout

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas...I'm thinking maybe something flat-ish but not totally...

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Go with some form of Black on the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts