Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking with a guy about a Mach 1 project that would be quite a project.

The poor fella really got hosed by a person who claimed they could replace the sheetmetal on the car. He put the floor in wrong, the front frame rails in wrong, the quarter skins in wrong, basically everything this guy was paid to repair was done wrong. And it's really sad for the guy who owns the car.

So he has given up before he gets any deeper into the hole on it. I've got access to a donor car for the floor, firewall, and everything else forward that's pretty much perfect. I would need to replace the full quarter panels, taillight panel, and trunk drop offs for sure. Otherwise, everything else is there. I'm sure other things would come up that would need to be replaced. It was a complete car before the restoration (destruction) began. As a matter of fact, the car was fine before the'restoration' began.

Its a 351-4v with a 4 speed, the engine is not the original but the transmission is.

I've got to figure out where I'd put it seeing as how I've got the convertible project in the garage right now and my coupe is in a storage unit for the winter.

The cool thing is that my wife says I can get it!

If I can pull this thing off I would become an experienced full-fledged body man!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Sounds like your gonna have to break down and pickup a enclosed trailer too... :p

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. Can you get the car for so cheap that it offsets the cost of all of the sheet metal and your time/$$ than to pick up a car that's in better shape?

But something to think about is how many project cars do you want to have at one time? 2 of my 3 cars are in the project stage and it's a lot to deal with trying to do multiple cars at once. If you have a plan and are diligent about working and finishing one car before moving to the next you'll be fine. But then you come across deals for the other car and it takes you away from your focus and resources for the car you're trying to finish.

I'm speaking from experience here... which is why I'm now committed to finishing my fastback before doing much else to the other cars.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in Snohomish but the owner lives in Forks. I have looked at the car and I've spoken with the current owner a lot about it. I also talked with Randy Sargent about it and he pointed out exactly what needs to be done. It is by no means going to be an easy project -- but I'm getting a fair price.

I feel that the price is fair for the amount of work that I'll have to do. If it was even $100 more I would really question it, though. It will require a little less work than my convertible, but the nature of what it needs will make it a whole lot tougher to complete. I am sure that more will come up as I'm going along, but the nice thing is that there are already a lot of new parts that come with it.

I wrestled with the 2 projects at a time problem and I had to decide how to do it all.

Here's how I'll do it:

1. Put them Mach 1 into storage along with all of its parts and pieces.

2. Work on my convertible only. This is the one I want to drive this Summer. Besides, I already have all the parts here to do the work and I told my wife that she could drive it (sometimes) *ouch, she just hit me while reading over my shoulder* You know, the convertible is really cool and I think that she would really look good driving it around so I know I need to finish it first.

3. Then providing I have finished the convertible this Summer, I will work on the Mach 1 during next Winter and keep the vert in storage.

I have two car-sized storage units less than 3/4 mile from my house. Both have cars in them, but I can move one out easily. The other is my brother's 68 coupe.

Should be fun... or maybe not... who knows?

But I do feel that I got a fair price for what I'm getting...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Such a fine young student of the internet!

Yep. I'll be picking up all the parts this weekend and then I'll have Randy ship the car out to me.

The fix is quite extensive. I'm also buying a donor coupe that's at West Coast Restorations that has a perfect floor and front end to use for parts instead of buying repro pieces (other than the quarters and taillight panel). So I'm really buying two cars. I just need to make the purchase of the donor car, which I should be able to complete on Friday on my way to get all the parts for the Mach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts