Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
M/C,
It felt really nice. From roll rate to front to rear balance, over/understeer etc. It just felt really well balanced. There were even a couple of times I got loose at high speed in the fast corners and it felt very good. I was able to counter steer and stay right with it w/o any scary feeling. Also, the tire wear looks pretty good. All in all, very pleased. I think I can now comfortably say that at this point it is the best performing vintage mustang I have assembled.
Rob

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hi guys,
Grabber, I would call the hydro boost a 95% success. It works, quite well for street driving. However, the boost is too high. I can lock up the brakes way too easily, and for track driving...it was a bit of an issue. I need to look into installing a late model PS pump. I am assuming the pressure is lower since the brakes felt great on my 04 Mach when I had the same exact set up from master cylinder down to the wheels and tires. I can share the assembly process with you in a later post. I'll need to make a PDF out of the template to post. Now don't forget, I haven't been with VintageVnom.com for a couple of years now.
Rob,

Sounds great that you feel it was a success. I seem to recall someone stating they used a flow valve to dial back the pressure on the pump, just a thought you might want to look into. When are you going to start that post? :) A PDF would be great. No problem I remembered that you had left VV a while back.

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Hey Grabber,
Yep some form of a pressure control valve would be a potential consideration. The other one that I'm considering is retrofitting a later model pump, as it seems they are designed to put out less pressure.
I'll look through my photo archives, and see what I have regarding the details of the hydroboost install. I know I have the template, which indeed...I can PDF.

Rob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
Hi Chuck,
Dude....really sorry I suck so bad. Work is just insane. Any at home free time I can spend is spent on the car...not on the computer. That said, about a month ago I did bring my tracings in to work and PDF'd em. I also went through my pics and found the pics from the original installation. Here it all is. Let me know if you have any questions.

The Hydro boost was from a 2001 Mustang Cobra (though interchangeable with other years...this is what it was).

Drill out the master cylinder mounting holes to permit the cylinder to be slightly rotated (clocked) to get it closer to an upright orientation.

No washer permitted due to space.

Outboard corner of master cylinder needs to be ground for clearance.

For hose attachment, I made this banjo block and mounted it to the top in place of the vertical hose port with the black cap on it. I'd like to come up with a better attachment, with better flow, but haven't circled back on it yet.

And here is the traced template for the mounting plate:
http://www.vintage-venom.com/69_Mach_I/hydroboost_layout.pdf

Hope this helps you with what you need. I'll have to circle back later to add text, as I'm over an hour into this post and need to get to bed.... :) later man.... sorry again it took so long. Rob

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks Rob!!

Your post is FREAKIN AWESOME!!! Great pics of the process!! I REALLY appreciate it!

Sorry that your work is crazy, but I really hope that is a good thing (you have a job and it keeps you busy)!

Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm doing basically the same thing - installed a hydroboost unit from a 200X Mustang into a 1969. But what did you do with the brake pedal? I thought I could just move the pin to accommodate the dropped eyelet, but once I put the pedal into the car it seems about an inch too short!
Thanks,
OMureebe

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 · (Edited)
Hi OMureebe,
Sorry I missed your post with the HydroBoost question. Been crazy busy and haven't checked in on the forum in a while. Yes, this is an item that needs attention, which I didn't cover in the install description previously posted.
Here is what I did..... I took another input rod....cut and shaped it as needed to get the desired geometry, considering pedal height and input rod angle change as it goes through the pedal stroke, and welded it to the hydroboost input rod. Then, a brake light switch will need to be fabricated as a prox switch or use a pressure switch in the hydraulic line. Hope this helps.... that is if your not long past that part of the project by now. Again, sorry for the slow feedback.

Here is mock assembly, prior to final welding. I kept installing the power unit, and checking the geometry. Trial and error mods until I got it where I wanted.

Here is finished product.

Rob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Rob! I hadn't thought of that... I was going to cut the pin off the pedal and relocate it to match the existing rod end. I'm going to get back into this in about a month, so very helpful!
Omar

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
OK... so...as my "new year's resolution"... I'm gonna try and start being social again...
First step...dust off this old thread, and get her up to date... unfortunately it looks like many of the photos were lost due to having the files hosted on remote storage. :frown2:

On the hydroboost topic, I have since changed the pedal ratio.... I didn't like how aggressive it was on the race track. For around town..it was fine. But, on the track I was locking up the fronts too easily. I swapped the pedal to a power brake pedal, which honestly makes more sense. The manual brake pedal was a hold over from previous configurations. It made a big difference.

Latest status.... this fall I was at Gingerman raceway in Western Michigan with the Lotus club, and damaged the motor. So, pulled it apart a couple of weeks ago. Not so good news... Looks like I should have run higher octane fuel..... appears I overheated a valve, which then broke apart. Piston damaged, heads will need reworking again. I'm figuring... screw it... it's apart...might was well make it a 408CID, right? :grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
OK... so...as my "new year's resolution"... I'm gonna try and start being social again...
First step...dust off this old thread, and get her up to date... unfortunately it looks like many of the photos were lost due to having the files hosted on remote storage. :frown2:

On the hydroboost topic, I have since changed the pedal ratio.... I didn't like how aggressive it was on the race track. For around town..it was fine. But, on the track I was locking up the fronts too easily. I swapped the pedal to a power brake pedal, which honestly makes more sense. The manual brake pedal was a hold over from previous configurations. It made a big difference.

Latest status.... this fall I was at Gingerman raceway in Western Michigan with the Lotus club, and damaged the motor. So, pulled it apart a couple of weeks ago. Not so good news... Looks like I should have run higher octane fuel..... appears I overheated a valve, which then broke apart. Piston damaged, heads will need reworking again. I'm figuring... screw it... it's apart...might was well make it a 408CID, right? :grin2:
Welcome back Rob. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Hi Grabber,
As not to hijack Harry's thread on his 68 fastback build, I've copy / pasted your post here...

Quote:
Good to see you around Rob, you still have the 69? Ever get any further with a kit for the hydroboost setup?

Thanks Grabber..... appreciate that. Yep, still bangin gears with the Mach every chance I get. Unfortunately I toasted the motor at Grattan Raceway (western Michigan) this fall, but that's in process (see above .. ;-). Nope, I don't really have any intentions of making a Hydroboost kit. That's why I disclosed all the info in this thread (actually .. to you.. ;-) a while back. Actually... if you downloaded those pics... It might be appreciated by all our brethren lookin to make this upgrade if you would repost them. All pics which were hosted on the VintageVenom hosting are gone, and my old laptop smoked a muffler bearing, so I don't have any of its contents..... :-( It is a fantastic mod...which I still love every time I driver her.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Hi Grabber,
As not to hijack Harry's thread on his 68 fastback build, I've copy / pasted your post here...

Quote:
Good to see you around Rob, you still have the 69? Ever get any further with a kit for the hydroboost setup?

Thanks Grabber..... appreciate that. Yep, still bangin gears with the Mach every chance I get. Unfortunately I toasted the motor at Grattan Raceway (western Michigan) this fall, but that's in process (see above .. ;-). Nope, I don't really have any intentions of making a Hydroboost kit. That's why I disclosed all the info in this thread (actually .. to you.. ;-) a while back. Actually... if you downloaded those pics... It might be appreciated by all our brethren lookin to make this upgrade if you would repost them. All pics which were hosted on the VintageVenom hosting are gone, and my old laptop smoked a muffler bearing, so I don't have any of its contents..... :-( It is a fantastic mod...which I still love every time I driver her.

Rob,

Is there any way you could re-post all your photos? I am getting my hands into a 69' restomod and from what I have read so far, you're doing things correctly. Id just like to see what you have written about. Thanks.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts