Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the second set of stripes from Mustangs Unlimited for my 69 Mach 1 and these are crap too! Any of you guy's had problems with these stripes? The width of the pinstripes isn't the same from sticker to sticker!? This will look awful on my new paint job! Anyone have any suggestions where to get a decent stripe kit? Man am I frustrated! ::

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not go to a sign shop with what you have, describe what you want, and get them custom made?
I just happen to know a guy with a sign shop. I got a call in to him.

G

·
Sorry about your stripes. How do you plan to take them off without damaging new paint job? I have had a bad time taking off Mach 1 stripes. You might not believe this but 2 years ago I got a set of NOS from my Ford dealership- $75. They are awesome. [email protected]

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't know if it would be as easy but I had my GT stripes painted, of course before the paint went on I checked the layout of the tape, did the same thing with the hood stripe, something to consider.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
When I striped my 70, I ordered the 69 boss 302 stripes, from Graphic Express. They were excellent quality and uniform throughout. I did not apply (still ahve them), instead I laid them on the car with tape, like a stencil, then used fine line striping tape (blue, from 3M) and outlined them on the car. I also made a subtle adjustment to the lower stripe so that it "broke" at the body crease in the door. I used the blue painters masking tape and autoshop paint masking paper to mask off, then shot the stripes with gold paint, followed by 4 coats of clear over the entire car. Buried them stripes pretty good. After color sanding could not feel any raise in the surface where the stripes began and ended. I have ordered other stripes from Graphic express and they were also good quality. They have an on-line catalog, even 24 hour on-line ordering.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about your stripes. How do you plan to take them off without damaging new paint job? I have had a bad time taking off Mach 1 stripes. You might not believe this but 2 years ago I got a set of NOS from my Ford dealership- $75. They are awesome. [email protected]
I never put them on the car, I checked them out before I put them on.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have had this same problem, even with NOS kits. However, if you rearrange the different pieces you can sometimes make them work OK. For example, on your Mach kit all of the pieces can go in only one location except for the door pieces, which can be swapped side to side or end for end. You might find that one door piece will match the end pieces on one side and not the other. Since the stripes are on opposite sides of the car no one will notice that they are not exactly the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts