Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a 69 mach 390 auto with no motor/trans worth these days.. really nice body but needs restored, very little rust! thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'd say 15k, i think you can buy an extremely nice S code for 50k, so you have to figure in the cost of the build. $10k for paint, 12-15k for drivetrain, interior 3K, All other systems, brakes, fuel, electrical, misc, 5k.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
BY 1969, having a 390 was a detriment. So, no motor in this case is a plus. "Needs restoration"...now thats scary.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
For pretty much any 69-70 Mach 1

Rusted to death garbage is $5k -$10k
Rusty cars are $10k -$15k
Non rusty cars are $15k-$20k

Subtract a grand or so for the missing drivetain.

A friend sold his 70 Mach earlier this year. Running, driving 351-2v car that needed to be repainted. Listed it at $14k and had a waiting list of 42 people that wanted to buy the car.

Reactions: 69DroptopGT

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
For pretty much any 69-70 Mach 1

Rusted to death garbage is $5k -$10k
Rusty cars are $10k -$15k
Non rusty cars are $15k-$20k

Subtract a grand or so for the missing drivetain.

A friend sold his 70 Mach earlier this year. Running, driving 351-2v car that needed to be repainted. Listed it at $14k and had a waiting list of 42 people that wanted to buy the car.
^^ This!

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think it being a factory 390 car helps the value. Likely it's worth no more than an H or M code Mach 1. But being a factory Mach 1 definitely adds value; especially if all the Mach 1 gingerbread is still there. If it's a factory 4-speed car, that would add value.

If I was going to build it, I would install a 428 Cobra Jet. It would look just like the factory 390 and it would be a lot more fun. (Not a fan of the 390.)

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
where are these #s coming from. any decent clean and fairly correct SB Mach should be 35-40 range

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know where a running 390/auto Galaxy is for around 2 or 3K is. Roof is rusted.
Less than 800 69 390 Mach 1s made.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I know where a running 390/auto Galaxy is for around 2 or 3K is. Roof is rusted.
Less than 800 69 390 Mach 1s made.

They made 5000+ s codes in 69. Im sure more than 800 were mach 1.

·
Super Moderator
10,042 Posts
What is a 69 mach 390 auto with no motor/trans worth these days.. really nice body but needs restored, very little rust! thanks
Crazy prices these days,.....

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ok the values of FE 1969 mustangs has gone up a bit. I kinda laugh when someone says that a 390 car is a detriment. Or when someone states that it does not help value. Sure, the 390 is not boss. No, it is not a cobrajet. Or a Shelby. But there is not another mustang besides those that are worth more money. If it is really a mach, that is the big option to have. WOrth more that GT even though GT are more rare. Anyone states anything else is not being truthful. You can take the 302, and 351s out of equation. That gets rid of a lot of cars. And the car is set up for FE engine. That is the real facts about 1969 FE mustangs. Value is hard to say. The Auto is not worth as much as a stick but still very desirable. What color (to some real important). Options, interiors and ect..... The fact that it does not have the original engine and trans actually may make it more useful for you if you did not want to do a complete stock restoration. The days of picking up a shell of a 390 car for 4k are done. I got my shell 5 years ago for that. I remember the number of 800+ mach1 390 cars but cannot find my marti. Not sure if this was all cars or just one of the stick options. I think it was for all mach1 390 cars though. If it is solid worth probably 10-15k, maybe more depending on what comes with it.

Reactions: jimeast

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
where are these #s coming from. any decent clean and fairly correct SB Mach should be 35-40 range
My numbers come with the context that it's a project car and not "drop in a motor and drive to a car show". If it's missing drivetrain, it's a fair assumption that it needs a bunch more work. This is what I see offered for sale around my area. The 70 Mach my friend sold could have easily netted him $20k if he had listened to me about prices.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
Ok the values of FE 1969 mustangs has gone up a bit. I kinda laugh when someone says that a 390 car is a detriment. Or when someone states that it does not help value. Sure, the 390 is not boss. No, it is not a cobrajet. Or a Shelby. But there is not another mustang besides those that are worth more money. If it is really a mach, that is the big option to have. WOrth more that GT even though GT are more rare. Anyone states anything else is not being truthful. You can take the 302, and 351s out of equation. That gets rid of a lot of cars. And the car is set up for FE engine. That is the real facts about 1969 FE mustangs. Value is hard to say. The Auto is not worth as much as a stick but still very desirable. What color (to some real important). Options, interiors and ect..... The fact that it does not have the original engine and trans actually may make it more useful for you if you did not want to do a complete stock restoration. The days of picking up a shell of a 390 car for 4k are done. I got my shell 5 years ago for that. I remember the number of 800+ mach1 390 cars but cannot find my marti. Not sure if this was all cars or just one of the stick options. I think it was for all mach1 390 cars though. If it is solid worth probably 10-15k, maybe more depending on what comes with it.
The 69 Mustang GT is very rare, very desirable and very expensive; more than a similarly equipped Mach 1. Second, the 390 is the rarest engine option among the '69 Mustangs, but it's not very desirable and it's not particularly valuable compared to other Mach 1 Mustangs. Sure, 69/70 Mach 1 prices are very high these days. But I really don't think a 390 option gives that price much of a boost.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok the values of FE 1969 mustangs has gone up a bit. I kinda laugh when someone says that a 390 car is a detriment. Or when someone states that it does not help value.
Roddster said "BY 1969, having a 390 was a detriment. So, no motor in this case is a plus."
I agree. I'd much rather have a 67-68 390GT engine, than a 69 390IP engine.

·
Registered
885 Posts
A 69 390 Mach 1 might not be awsome on paper, but in person it was certainly a killer of small blocks. It's a rare car worth building back to a 390 car. Too bad that it's an automatic. The 4sp version was serious fun.

·
Registered
784 Posts
To each their own. Any Mustang that came w/a 390 is far more interesting to me than one that came w/a small block. Putting together a very strong 390 - stroked to 445 (that weighs and much as a small block) is getting much more affordable than it was 10-15 yrs ago. Also, since many people want standard transmissions in classic mustangs, putting in a toploader or a modern 5 or 6 speed may do some nice things for you on the resale value an automatic can't do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts