Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to pull my 351w out of my manual trans car, without pulling the bell housing and transmission with the engine. I think I've gotten everything loose, but the engine won't let go of the transmission. Can anyone think of what I'm missing? The only thing I've noticed is the bell crank is still attached, but I think it should slip off ball on the engine as I pull out the engine. Help!!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I'd get the z-bar out of the way if that is what you are referring as the bell-crank. Or, at least unscrew the ball attachment from the block. I'd be concerned about breaking either the block ball or the frame pivot bracket.
There should be 6 bolts holding the bell housing to the block. Obviously, check motor mounts are loose of their bolts, passenger head rear ground strap...exhaust still hooked up?
P/S still hooked up to the bock or did you set the pump aside?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the "Z" bar must've been the problem--my Chilton's manual calls it something else, even! ARGH! But the engine is now out and cross tied in the back of my truck, ready for the rebuild. This has been a very looonnnnnggggg weekend... Now I need to start detailing the engine compartment--it's amazing how much filth the engine hides.

Thanks for the help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts