Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for a 1969 Mach1 to have an 02 in the VIN instead of the 05 which stands for mach1? I have looked at 2 mach1's, well inquired about anyway and both have the 02 for fastback and not the 05 for mach1 in the VIN and was wondering if that means its not a real mach1 but just a replica. They both look legit, with all mach1 parts, mach1 interior ect. I was just wondering if its possible or am i looking at something thats not real?

Also did mach1's in 69 have the vinyl roof option? I have inquired about one that has the 02 in VIN and not 05 looks legit, and also has a vinyl top that has been removed.

Sorry i don't know much about 69 mach1's well Mustang of this era to begin with, just learning about them. So if anyone could tell me all you know or point my in the direction of a web page with information on the 69 mach1 i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You're looking at Mach I wannabe's. People just don't understand that even if you put all the Mach I parts on a car ... it's STILL NOT a Mach I unless it was originally.

I've never seen, nor heard of a Mach I with a vinyl top, but since in those days, you could order a car with whatever options you want, it's not TOTALLY out of the question.

If it has the 2 in the VIN, it's just a plain jane sportsroof now wearing fancy clothes /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is some pictures of the car. http://community.webshots.com/album/44084669vtySJr Can you tell me what to look for since to see if it is a mach1. This will be the third car just got another vin from a 69 mach1 that also looks very legit that also has the 02 in the VIN instead of the 05. Where else can i look to verify the car to see if it actually is or isn't? I assume their has to be some other place that would tell this. I will try to get the door code tag, will that help anyway? I don't see why though their would be so many fastback's converted to mach1's but then again i guess thier popular.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Mach's were essentially a "trim" package and the parts to replicate one are available. The minimum base engine was a 351w 2v.
---
A reference check reveals that the VIN# SHOULD HAVE the 02 in it, because that is the VIN code for ALL 69 FB's. The door data plate will have 63C for a Mach code, standards are 63A.

I do not show a 05 body code for VIN #'s in 69's, only 70's.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is a 69 Pink Mach-1 up here in the Pacific Northwest that I'm 99.9% certain that has a vinyl top on it that does the judged shows. The car has been in either Mustang Monthly or one of the other Mustang magazines in the last couple of years.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is a good place to go a decode the VIN and door tag? I got a website from someone in the chat room but i lost the link so if someone could post it again i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Go to the home page, under Mustang Info, go to How To's and FAQ, a decoder is there.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
From my understanding, all Mach I's had the 5 in the VIN. I'll have to hand it to someone, though. That car looks very ligit. From what I can see in the pics, it looks like it has all the Mach I trim, and has had it for a very, very long time. My guess, still, would be that someone put the Mach I stuff on it long ago, before it was allowed to "go to pot".

That car is in a lot rougher shape than my '69 sportrsoof, which I paid $2500 for ... just some added food for thought.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The vinyl roof is a very rare option for mach 1's but it was available. That car is probably a 351W 2V car since it doesn't have the cut outs in the rear valence. Check the doors to see if the door wiring is there. That could indicated the delux interior is correct. Check the buck tag behind the passenger side headlight fender extension mounted on the radiator support. That can help to see what options it should have..
The'02" is for a 69 Fastback. All mach 1's for 69 were '02' as well. The 05 for mach 1's started in 70.
The door tag if the door is original should have more info on the car.
let us know what you find out.
Good price?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy is asking $5,000 for it, has put a new roof on it since this on obviously had rust, now all it needs is new floor pans and a new paint job, the engine also doesn't run has sat for 8+ years. The guy bought it from a guy who bought cars then sold them. He bought it as shown i pictures. If this is a legit mach1 is this price fair? i know nothing about them, and th eowner claims that he doesn't know much about 69's aswell so getting the specifics might be hard. The engine is a 351. From what i a seen obviously the transmission is an automatic. I assume c-6 but not sure. What is a fair price for this? Or what do you think its worth?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
The 351 will be backed by the FMX.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mach 1's were coded as "02" sportsroofs in 69. The car can have a vinyl roof also. It was an option on all hardtops and sportsroofs.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ok, judging from mach158's and MattsMach69's posts, I'd say it's a ligit Mach1. Being a 351W, though, it's still nothing exception other than being a Mach1. It will be expensive to rebuild ('69 parts are typically double or more than a corresponding '65/'66 part), so in it's current condition, I would offer around $3k and go from there.

My $2500 '69 sportsroof I drove home. The only rust at all in the entire car is the battery apron from battery acid. I wouldn't pay $5k for that car, as you can plan on at least $10k on it for a "decent" restoration.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Th price of $5000 seems a bit steep to me being it is a 351W 2V car that needs lots of work from the pictures. With the engine not running who knows what is wrong with it. I would guess closer to the $2000 range might be more appropriate. IMO
It does look complete but it will need lots of TLC .

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
vinyl roof on sportsroofs was only available starting in 1971 and was a 3/4 roof

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
John, 69 Machs had the 02 in the VIN. The 63C code on the door tag was what identified it as a Mach 1. 1970 was the first year to code the Mach 1 option in the VIN. For a '69, since the data plate can be changed, the only certain way to tell is with a Marti report or Ford 999 History report.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts