Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, but here goes. My car is running fine once it gets warmed up. It takes about 3 or 4 miles, but until it gets going good, it might backfire once and seem very sluggish or hesitate.

Once the engine gets warm, no issues at all. It has an electric choke, so I wonder if it might be sticking or something. I am idleing around 750 rpm in park and about 600 with foot on the brake in drive.

Any advice?

Thanks,
wsgts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
read your plugs....find a website with color pics of plug readings

since it's summer, I'd guess either insufficient accelerator pump shot or lean primary jets, probably the accel pump.

If your edelbrock is a 750, it's just too big

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I have no idea if it is the muffler or the carb. I seems to be going fine and all the sudden it's like the engine dies for a split second and comes back on. I say backfires, but I really don't know if it is doing it, might just be dieing then coming back.

Remember that this works fine once warmed up, I drove out to the farm today (about 50 miles total) and had no problems except when I first started it up today.

BTW, I am very new at car mechanics, so might have to spell it out for me :)

Thanks,
wsgts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well it is hard to say without hearing it. Mine would backfire in the carb when I would get on it. Listen next time it happens and try to dertimine where the sound is coming from. May also want to check your fuel filter. Be careful not to do it too much, if it (backfire) is coming from the carb it could blow the power valve. On Some on the newer carbs they are protected, I don't know about yours though. Could also just be cold.. Are you letting it warm up before put your foot into it? Does the car ever overheat? This can be a sign of incorrect timing. I know this probably does not help much, but it is hard to tell with ou being there. See ya

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning I got it to go get coffee (I work at home) and took it really easy on the pedal for a while, and it did not backfire or have the problem. Could be that I am not letting it warm up enough, if that could be the problem.

Don't know when the fuel filter was last changed, so might be worth a trip to Auto Zone to replace it.

Thanks,
wsgts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yeah old carb's have to warm up for a bit.. Not like the new fuel injected cars where ya can just go... If ya replace the fuel filter take a good look at the one you have or remove it and take it with ya to the parts store.. That way ya make sure it is the same type. Also does not hurt to get some carb cleaner and clean that sucker out. But if you still have carb backfire I would start out by checking your timing.. It will make a huge difference when it is in time.. It was like a whole new care when I got mine dialed in. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts