Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, at least I don't think anyone will be fooled into thinking they are bidding on a real Boss. Hey, it's his fantasy. Let him enjoy it. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
21,084 Posts
Over all it looks fairly clean. I'd loose the rear deck spoiler, the BOSS 429 decals and that steering wheel. It could be a nice daily driver.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

thanks, you made my day - I needed a REALLY good laugh...

randy :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looks like it could be fairly nice for a daily driver. Not a fan of the whole show your car having a bigger motor than it really does thing. There's a kid around my hometown that has a 68 coupe that has 427 stickers all over it, but it's only a 289. To each their own I guess. I prefer putting the I6 emblems on my 428scj, haha.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've seen a lot worse engine bays out there for sure. Lose the wing and the 429 stickers and it's doable.

To be fair, it looks to me like the guy tried hard to make something nice.

Now maybe if he just added a couple of twister decals on the quarters...

·
Registered
151 Posts
well at lease he is up front about it being an imitation and from the pictures it looks pretty clean. I really like the idea of adding the twister decals.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The current Hot Rod magazine (3/06) has a cover blurb "Boss 429 -- Build One from a Ford 460." Like anybody can do it, right? You turn to the story and find out this guy paid $400 for a set of totally trashed NASCAR heads. The engine builder says he spent TWO WEEKS applying TWO POUNDS of welding wire to repair the castings. Also had to rig up multiple oil hoses, because the Boss heads did not oil through the pushrods but instead were supplied through ports in the block that are absent in the normal 429/460 block.

So, no, the era of the crate Boss 429 is not yet upon us.

BTW, the owner says the next step is to rig up a suitable sportsroof and make a clone. Coming soon to an musclecar auction near you. (Or not. I don't see how the guy could make any money, with all the labor in that engine.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
At least he says imitation and not replica.

I saw that article. They had to completley reconstruct the spark plug hole. It did look pretty cool once they got done though. I've only seen one set of BOSS 429 heads in my life. I was 17 I think and it was at a swap meet here in Indy. I think the guy wanted 10 grand for them or something. Memory fails me. I do remember that Rik Smits was there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts