Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I engaged the emergency brake on my 1969 mustang grande and that’s when I realized there’s no release handle. So now it’s stuck and I couldn’t find a release or dis-engage the emergency brake. Can someone please help me with much details or with pictures or video on how to safely release the e brake without injuring myself?

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
I believe there is spposed to be a small T handle on the end of a metal rod anout 1/8" in diameter. You pull the T handle to release the brake. Maybe the T handle has broken off and you can grab the rod with Vise Grips and pull it. Parking Brake Assembly Mustang 1969

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so am I suppose to get a plier and pull this? Sorry for not being clear, I couldn’t find the specific rod you’re referring to.

I believe there is spposed to be a small T handle on the end of a metal rod anout 1/8" in diameter. You pull the T handle to release the brake. Maybe the T handle has broken off and you can grab the rod with Vise Grips and pull it. Parking Brake Assembly Mustang 1969

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
you can see the T handle in the pic posted above. its that black thing that is out of focus. In your photo which shows the pin...in front of the pin you can see the hole where you should have the T handle. I looks like you could hook something in the hole, pull it forward to release the brake temporarily....wait the more I look at it, I can see the T handle would move that PIN circled in the photo. you will need to make that pin move to release.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can see the T handle in the pic posted above. its that black thing that is out of focus. In your photo which shows the pin...in front of the pin you can see the hole where you should have the T handle. I looks like you could hook something in the hole, pull it forward to release the brake temporarily....wait the more I look at it, I can see the T handle would move that PIN circled in the photo. you will need to make that pin move to release.
so in other words, I need a plier to wiggle the yellow circle while I use something like a screwdriver to insert in the blue circle to pull it?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
No. Your entire release mechanism is gone. The vertical piece of metal above your circles is the ratcheting locking tooth that is in the locked position. I don't know how to release that locked tooth. May have to access it from the other side ? I suggest you get under the car and loosen the e -brake cable adjustment. Not want you want to hear but all I can come up with. Sorry Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Your entire release mechanism is gone. The vertical piece of metal above your circles is the ratcheting locking tooth that is in the locked position. I don't know how to release that locked tooth. May have to access it from the other side ? I suggest you get under the car and loosen the e -brake cable adjustment. Not want you want to hear but all I can come up with. Sorry Brian
Ok so how would I loosen the e brake cable adjustment? Are they all connected to each wheel or is it in just one mechanical spot?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
pull the pin in the yellow circle downward and see if it releases. that is what the t handle would do. T handle pivots in blue circle causing bracket to force pin in yellow circle downward. it appears that way to me.

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
Yes, moving the pin where the handle used to be will release the brake. Since the mechanism is trashed, you will need a new one. Fortunately, they are available new.

What happens to these typically is someone carelessly steps on the release handle, bending or breaking the release.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I be damn, it works. Thank you all for your help, a gentleman and a scholar you are. I’ll be sure enough not to engage the e brake again until i find a release handle to install in or perhaps get a whole new e brake system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts