Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So for my combo:
1990 mustang roller motor.
MSD 6Al and an MSD 8598 Distributor.
130 AMP 3G alternator.

I really want to clean up my old external regulator wiring, but I am not total sure what stays and what goes. My old alternator had two wired hooked up; power wire to starter solenoid and the other (Green below) to “S” on External regulator. The plan is a 3G conversion and I am going to wire it up like the below picture. Any issues with this?

The big question is what can I remove out of the old wiring? I labeled up everything that I knew and what I thought it was for (See pic below). Is everything out of the old External Regulator wiring dead with the 3G conversion? I assume that one wire is the main feed for the stock fuse panel. The grounds, one went to the disconnected plug and the other heads back to the front.
That a ground for the headlights or something?

The plug that was disconnected has a bigger power wire. Where did that go?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a factory 3G plug and I am pretty familiar with the 3G conversion (Did it on my old fox). I had read on another post where they had hooked their Light Green/Red to the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid. That is why I had my drawing that way. I was going to hook it up to the Green/Red as well. My cluster is pretty much completely dead which is why I was looking to go to the "I" on the solenoid. Looking a the solenoid wiring, that was my impression of what the "I" terminal was for.

What about that power wire, am I correct on what that is?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isnt that what the "I" terminal does?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, none of the cluster works, save the lights and one turn signal (As far as I can tell). I have no idea if the bulb works (I am assuming not). All that aside, I have a 3 gauge pop with Volts, Water Temp and Oil Pressure. The Volt gauge was working fine prior to me taking things apart.

I think what I am going to try next, I hook the battery back up and put a test light on the solenoid "I" terminal. See if it lights up in the run position.

Otherwise, I have a switched lead I am running right near there for my MSD 6AL. Maybe I can run a jumper off of that with a 560 ohm resister for the Light Green / Red wire off the Alternator. That work? Do the same thing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.