Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to order interior for our 69 Boss 9 project and it needs basically everything but the seat frames. Is there anything I need to know before I start buying things?
Specifically are there any repro parts or kits that I should avoid?

Seats - I've got original Mach 1 buckets and rear fold down seat, but they need new upholstery and foam. Planning on TMI
Interior panels - I need everything. I have some for the back but they have speaker holes in them and some condition issues. I figure I need all interior panels.
Headliner - I have the support wires but need a new headliner. I figured I'd go original style but MTF has that 1 piece that is interesting.
Door Panels - My car was made in March of 69 and a comment on the TMI door panels is: Made for Mustangs built before 2/24/1969 that have a separate rectangular remote mirror bezel. Is this going to cause me issues? One of my doors is not original on the car, the other is.

This kit seems pretty complete, other than a center console and seat belts?

·
Registered
391 Posts
TMI is a good brand, you’ll have good luck with them. I’d recommend calling the store before buying and make sure nothing in that package is on back order. Sites have been notorious for not updating their stock status.

OEM replacement headliner material will require windshield to come out. Those one pieces are nice. I’d go with that if the money difference isn’t big for you. They look nice and you don’t have to remove the windshield IIRC.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I bought TMI for my'69 Mach 1 and all went well according to the upholsterer that installed it for me. Mine is a Oct. 1968 build though. I did have one issue with the door panels. My interior is dark red. The carpet strip on the bottom of the door panel is also dark red. When my TMI panels arrived they had black carpet on them. I called TMI and talked to Dean Satterfield. He apologized saying that few red interiors went into red cars (mine). Most panels get a black or white carpet strip on the bottom of the panel. I removed about a kazillion little staples to strip off the black carpet. I had a source for the exact carpet to match my ACC carpet set. The upholsterer took care of the rest.
I had the idea to install the new seat foam and covers until I watched a video on CJ Pony Parts website. One poorly placed hog ring and a seat cover is ruined. Some things are better left to the professionals. Good luck. Dave R.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I ordered the interior parts for my '70 Mach 1 from NPD. Sure, you can go direct, but as I recall, the prices were about the same. NPD will almost always have that stuff in stock and sitting on a shelf. They also have big contracts with shipping companies so, while the shipping isn't free, it's usually a good price. NPD can also tell you what the best available is. They track that stuff non-stop. It would be impossible for hobbyists like us to keep up with all that.

For the carpet, I would highly recommend going with the mass-backed stuff. It's mostly pre-cut and fits very well. It pretty much drops right into place. And the stuff on the back adds extra heat and sound insulation.

As the TMI web site states, the earlier cars had a rectangular remote mirror bezel which was replaced by a smaller, round bezel. In your case, likely you should order the door panel that matches your remote mirror bezel.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,769 Posts
If you are looking to maximize future value of your Boss 9 and/or show it in concours competitions, i suggest you visit the Concours Mustang forum (www.concoursmustang.com ) to learn what you need to do to achieve MCA Gold status. In some cases a prepackaged interior kit may not achieve such a goal.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It's fairly straight forward. I put my interior back to its original color 10 yrs ago.
Took 3 full weekends going nice and easy

Front buckets were the hardest. Do one at a time so you have a reference

Front Backs and rears slide
on like a sock

Buy the correct cutters and squeezers and extra clips. They went quick and thankfully a local upholstery shop gave me a handful to finish up

Reactions: 67-70

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I ordered the interior parts for my '70 Mach 1 from NPD. Sure, you can go direct, but as I recall, the prices were about the same. NPD will almost always have that stuff in stock and sitting on a shelf. They also have big contracts with shipping companies so, while the shipping isn't free, it's usually a good price. NPD can also tell you what the best available is. They track that stuff non-stop. It would be impossible for hobbyists like us to keep up with all that.

For the carpet, I would highly recommend going with the mass-backed stuff. It's mostly pre-cut and fits very well. It pretty much drops right into place. And the stuff on the back adds extra heat and sound insulation.

As the TMI web site states, the earlier cars had a rectangular remote mirror bezel which was replaced by a smaller, round bezel. In your case, likely you should order the door panel that matches your remote mirror bezel.
Looks like NPD is out of seat foam, but thanks for the tip. I'll check other items.
I'm definitely doing the mass-backed carpet, great to hear you had a good experience with it. I haven't decided if I'm going to dynamat or not.

If you are looking to maximize future value of your Boss 9 and/or show it in concours competitions, i suggest you visit the Concours Mustang forum (www.concoursmustang.com ) to learn what you need to do to achieve MCA Gold status. In some cases a prepackaged interior kit may not achieve such a goal.
The car will be anything but stock. It started as a 302 auto fastback and will soon have a highly modified drivetrain from the aluminum boss 9 up front to a full floater rear end and everything in between. But want the interior to look stock and have a very good fit and finish. Exterior will look stock other than tires wheels and obviously oversized brakes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TMI is a good brand, you’ll have good luck with them. I’d recommend calling the store before buying and make sure nothing in that package is on back order. Sites have been notorious for not updating their stock status.

OEM replacement headliner material will require windshield to come out. Those one pieces are nice. I’d go with that if the money difference isn’t big for you. They look nice and you don’t have to remove the windshield IIRC.
Yeah, I really am in debate over that headliner. Tough call. MTF just sent me the wrong minitubs and created quite a fiasco so my shop ended up custom fabbing some tubs up that look amazing but cost me a lot which I shouldn't have had to do. Then MTF doesn't activate my forum account twice now and their support ignores my inquiries about the forum. I'm thinking MTF is either checked out these days or their best days are behind them. Time will tell, but I'm pretty miffed at them right now.

I bought TMI for my'69 Mach 1 and all went well according to the upholsterer that installed it for me. Mine is a Oct. 1968 build though. I did have one issue with the door panels. My interior is dark red. The carpet strip on the bottom of the door panel is also dark red. When my TMI panels arrived they had black carpet on them. I called TMI and talked to Dean Satterfield. He apologized saying that few red interiors went into red cars (mine). Most panels get a black or white carpet strip on the bottom of the panel. I removed about a kazillion little staples to strip off the black carpet. I had a source for the exact carpet to match my ACC carpet set. The upholsterer took care of the rest.
I had the idea to install the new seat foam and covers until I watched a video on CJ Pony Parts website. One poorly placed hog ring and a seat cover is ruined. Some things are better left to the professionals. Good luck. Dave R.
That's some of the debate for me too, though I'm doing this car with my boys other than body and paint, so if we can do it we should try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts