Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my first concours quality restoration on a 69 R code Mach 1. How do I find out the proper paint coating of all components underhood including all fasteners, engine and suspension components both front and rear. Also, how do I find out specific markings the car should have? Is there a book available or a website with this info?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If I am reading your post correctly, I think that you can go to the MCA juding rules and find out what the required finish and colors are for the different componets of your vehicle. I also have it on authority of Wally Short, when I asked the same question of chalk markings on my 66 or lack of them, he informed me that the 3 different assembly plants in 66 used different markings and colors back then, and in some instances, they moved down the line so quickly that they sometimes overlooked them altogether, and as such, no deductions would be made for markings.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Something that I did early on was to take tons of photographs of concours gold cars at MCA events. I was lucky enough to meet a Gold Card judge with a car that was built the same week as mine. While it had options that mine didn't, it helped with the marks under the hood area.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
In addition to the many excellent comments I would add the following.

Remember that you should always focus not on other 69 Cj's but those bulit at the same plant and time period.

Don't copy other show cars. Though they might have won a show in the past or currently, expectations and rules do change. Don't build your car to the rules build it right and it will do well

Lastly Use this and the CJ site and the knowledge available there. So much is learned (and shared) daily that is not included in any currently document and not on most show cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts