Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the repro sail panels for a '69 sporstroof? If so, did the lights fit in them?

My car had no sail panels whatsoever in it, but did have the two lights. They look like every other picture of '69 sail panel lights that I've seen (except not in very good condition), so I am assumming them to be OEM '69 lights. However, there's no way in hell, that these lights will fit into the tiny holes cut into the repro sail panels. Is this just another crappy repro part or am I missing something here (could easily be either, I'm sure ::)

G

·
Johnpro, when I had a new headliner and repo sail panels put in my 70 Mach 1, the person that put them in said he had to do some work on the sail panels for the lights to fit right. Don't know exactly what he did to them though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed the ones from NPD a couple of weeks ago on my '70. I had to open up both of the holes to allow the lights to fit. Luckily, I had the originals so I was able to use the trim rings in the holes.

Be careful when you open up the holes. I assumed they were in the correct location, just too small. I think I would place the hole as far forward as possible so the lights are centered in the hole in the sheet metal.

I also had to drill new holes for the clips. The attaching point for the clip appears to be farther forward compared to the original.

Joe

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll have to do exactly as you suggested. Mine, too, were purchased at NPD. It just seems REALLY STUPID that they make the hole, and go to all the trouble of cutting the fabric nicely so it fits well in the hole so that the end user can chop it all out *LOL*.

Oh, well, add this to the ever growing list of incorrect parts that could EASILY have been made right if the manufacturer gave half a damn. ::

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Wow, from what I'm reading sounds like the NPD parts are real crap. The set of sailpanels I bought from Virginia Classic Mustang weren't bad at all, though I had to transfer the metal rings over to get a tighter fit for the lights.

Have you read the August issue of Mustang Monthly ? They have an article on how to install an interior in a 69/70 sportsroof. All parts were supplied by NPD. ".. the new sailpanels just go right in.."

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
add this to the ever growing list of incorrect parts that could EASILY have been made right if the manufacturer gave half a damn.
Where's Whizco when you need him? :: I plan on trying out some of his kick panels when the time comes, too bad he doesn't make sail panels...

Doug

·
Registered
873 Posts
I replaced both sail panels and the holes for the lights weren't that bad, tight fit but they went in. However, the heat in AZ pretty much chew them up after two years, so I rather have the smaller holes and a more lasting repro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts