Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
A friend told me about a '69 GT-500 that was for sale near him. After investigating further, it turned out to be a patched together rust belt car, and of course the owner wanted big bucks... :no:
He had sent me a snap of the data plate, and the original color code was 5? Any idea what color that would have been? I didn't see it listed as a standard '69 color and I'm curious?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Are you sure it's a 5 and not an S, S is champagne gold.

Joe

·
Registered
90 Posts
The registry says if the first digit of the 2 digit color code is blank and the 2nd digit is 5, then you have a grabber color on a fastback. I know that doesn't help to much do to the plentiful number of grabber colors in 1969.The registry will list Shelby cars by color other wise there is a footnote on the build sheet to specify which grabber color. Len

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The 5 is for the blacked out hood on a Mach 1.

Joe

·
Registered
562 Posts
A paint code of "5" in 1969 indicates a "Special Color" such as competition Red/Orange, Grabber blue, grabber green, grabber orange, etc. A marti report or factory invoice is the only way to verify which special color the car left the factory with. ::

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys, like I said the car was a no go, but good info for the next time...
Paul

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too have the number 5 as colour code on my 69 Mach1 and Trim code is 3AA also the D.S.O. is 749813?
On a '69 Mach1, the 5 simply means flat-black on hood, as others have said. Your extended DSO # and the absence of any other color code indicates a special order color which could have been pretty much any color. Mine turned out to be gray-metallic (silver). But only after I found the build sheet was I able to make a proof-positive ID of the original color. If you have your build sheet there will be a notation on the bottom pertaining to the specific special order color of your car. It will be another alpha-numeric code requiring further decoding and there are people here able to decipher it, at least they did for me.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
To add to what others have offered - yes just a "5" on a mach I or Shelby that year indicates that the car was ordered with a non-RPO color (since Shelbys were odered from Fords as Mach I's)

For the exact color check the bottom portion of the buildsheet, the bottom section of the buck tag, the owners manual, an envelope in the glove compartment (special DOS paperwork was delievered with the car in this manner.

Or in your case SAAC may have the color in the registry or in records

Let me know if I can help more

·
Registered
18 Posts
To add to what others have offered - yes just a "5" on a mach I or Shelby that year indicates that the car was ordered with a non-RPO color (since Shelbys were odered from Fords as Mach I's)

For the exact color check the bottom portion of the buildsheet, the bottom section of the buck tag, the owners manual, an envelope in the glove compartment (special DOS paperwork was delievered with the car in this manner.

Or in your case SAAC may have the color in the registry or in records

Let me know if I can help more
Jeff, I'm in same boat. i have the 5 on mach 1, but no build sheet or buck tag. I do know the original color is a form of yellow. is there a listing of what special order offerings were available in 1969?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts