Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago i bought a 69 Sportsroof. 302/c4 original car with 50k miles on it. Runs and Drives great but has its fair share of little things as its mostly sat over the years...It definetly had a bad makeover at somepoint as the paint is iffy, especially around the trim. Some overspray of the Black Jade and so on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First things first I enjoyed it for the summer and drove it around. I installed new spark plugs, a new air cleaner, and new bulbs.....

The hood was full of bondo and you coudlnt attach trim, so i opted to order a 70s shaker hood from KY Mustang. Ive got all of it installed except the Twist Lock Hood Pins.
I also added LED Headlights, and drilled the holes to fit the 69 Trim.

The interior is CRUSTY!!!! So the next steps are to re-do the interior.....It has a cracked dash pad with cheap cover overlay, faded carpet, rusted floors, and a sloppy shifter.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I also like is a center console, I thought about buying one but its just not my style. So before ripping the carpet out, I aimed to start the build, and make a fiberglass bottom to fit the console. The console with have a 3D printed center section and be different then most. I tried to give it a little of the stock look but way different all at once

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the console fitted now i can finally start ripping out the interior. I found a couple window stops missing in the door, passenger side vent window was missing a top screw, window allignment was a bit off, and the drivers door latch needed replaced. One lucky find was the Window trim sitting in the bottom of the drivers door.

For the most part the only bad section is covered by tin and rivets on the drivers side. So ill drill them out and weld in a new pan. The trunk has some rust too so ill get to that as part of this process too. I have a new Dash Pad, new Carpet, and a set of Used deluxe door panels to go in.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish my 69 Fairlane fastback looked half as good. Good luck and welcome
I actually almost bought one of those a couple year ago...I regret not, but it didnt shift gears right....It took me a few weeks to realize it was a automatic car with a slap shifter in it and i wasnt shifting it lol

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm the 3rd owner of this car...However I didn't expect to find rivet patches everywhere and this much rust in the door latch area. Gah PLus the pastic cover over the bondo dash pad....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of this car...However I didn't expect to find rivet patches everywhere and this much rust in the door latch area. Gah PLus the pastic cover over the bondo dash pad....

View attachment 779947
View attachment 779948
View attachment 779950
View attachment 779952
View attachment 779953
Well you got 3 choices fix it, sell it or don't fix or sell it . Throw a dash cover back over the dash, carpet on the floor the interior parts on and woo hoo let.. the good times roll.

Must be something in the design of the 69 Fastbacks my Fairlane has a drivers side latch problem & the striker post too.

Just remember you are the human it is just an inanimate object that you can impose your will on( don't matter if some of us think they try to get over on us)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Oh it's not going anywhere. I've got new carpet and dash pad sitting in the house. It's just rust and it will be repaired. Just hate to find half ass worked
That's what I like to see somebody who means to fix the problems not just cobble a bunch of crap together to cover them up.

I'm kinda not looking forward to what I will find when my shop is up and work starts on my Fairlane and Ranchero. If I can just get them in primer and driveable I'll be happy

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Took my lunch break to go drill out the floor rivets....Talk about Nasty, but on the bright side atleast there isnt a lot to cut out View attachment 780062
The bright side is they make pans to fix it and from looking at the pictures you posted the body appears to be pretty intact.

After seeing pictures of some of the other guys cars when they started yours looks almost mint. I guess in the end it dose'nt matter we do what we have to do . Best of luck with your repairs.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bright side is they make pans to fix it and from looking at the pictures you posted the body appears to be pretty intact.

After seeing pictures of some of the other guys cars when they started yours looks almost mint. I guess in the end it dose'nt matter we do what we have to do . Best of luck with your repairs.
Yeah, Thats why i bought it. Was in mostly good shape and drivable. Plus is has the original drive train supposedly with only 50k miles...
Eitherway, 2 hours of work and ive got it cleaned up a bit. Still more to go but called it a night

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah, Thats why i bought it. Was in mostly good shape and drivable. Plus is has the original drive train supposedly with only 50k miles...
Eitherway, 2 hours of work and ive got it cleaned up a bit. Still more to go but called it a night
View attachment 780083
At least the frame rail I see looks good.
Any guess as to a cause? Afraid I'll find similar in my Fairlane as it set in the junkyard for awhile after the tree fell across the front And knocked a hole in the windshield the bright side is the hole is small and the hood appeared to be up and took most of the fall.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts