Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mercury Cougar
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all from Canada. I'm new to the sight and need some help. Currently building a 69 351W block. Machine shop went bankrupt before I can get the specs of my engine. Already been stroked to a 408 with 8:5:1 compression. AS far as I know. Aluminum heads. (What kind I don't know). New crank. My project is to put an 8-71 blower on this motor. I already have the intake and 4" spacer to go under the blower for a little lift. I"m missing a distributor and a cam shaft. Vehicle will be used mostly for show & weekend cruises and might put it on the track. Lets just stick to the street. (1) Looking for a moderate cam but not sure what to get. Don"t want no lump cam. (2) What is a good distributor? Vacuum advance? Trigger crank? So many options. This is where I need the help of the professionals. Any suggestions?

·
Hi, how ya doin
1,984 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Look on the aluminum cylinder heads AFAIK all the manufacturers put their name on the aluminum heads somewhere. Most people use MSD distributors, some (like me) use the Pertronix distributors. As fas as a cam try calling one of the cam manufacturers & let them know what you know about the engine & what you want to do with it & maybe they can recommend one to you.

·
Registered
1969 Mercury Cougar
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The Heads are Aluminum. They might even be AFR but the machine shop that went bankrupt on me machined the name of the heads off so to give it a smooth look. I've looked everywhere but cant find anything but maybe a few numbers inside the head. Any suggestions? Here is a copy of the pics I took of the heads. I appreciate you helping me out. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Hi, how ya doin
1,984 Posts
Badcat, try calling Summit Racing or Jegs with the numbers on the heads maybe they can decipher who made the heads by the numbers.
Summit Racing - 1-330-630-3030
Jegs, - 1-800-345-4545, or 1-614-294-5151.
I looked at the 3rd picture you posted & saw the number 716, then I searched the Summit web site for small block Ford aluminum cylinder heads & found AFR 195cc SBF competition cylinder heads #-12381-716. Here is the link to the heads I found. AFR 195cc SBF Competition Cylinder Heads 1381-716
I would still call Summit to see if they could verify that those are indeed the ones. Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts