Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 69 Mach1 428 4spd that originally had 4 wheel manual drum brakes. I purchased a front end from a 70 mach1 with disc brakes and plan to install the spindles with new rotors and calipers. Does anyone know if I can use this set up without a power brake booster? What mastercylinder should I use? Also have seen conversion kits that require changing the brake pedal but am not sure why. Can I use my 69 pedal? I know that the 70 spindles require larger tie rod ends. Is there anything else I will have to change to complete this? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not sure about using it without a booster, but they definitely use a different pedal. The pivot point on the pedal is in a different place. IIRC it is higher on the manual pedal for more leverage.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
You can DEFINITELY use them without power. I am doing it as we speak! I am using a 1974 Maverick master cylinder for disc/drum non-power brakes. Works well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Im doing the exact same conversion right now, except my 70 donor had power. NPD had the best prices I could find on the rotors, rod ends, etc (suprisingly). Whole process at the spindle end took me an hour or so. Havent done the MC/block/PPV/pedal yet, but the pedal was different in my case.

·
Registered
391 Posts
We installed manual disc brakes on a 65 coupe. The donor parts came from a 6 cyl Granada that had manual disc. The brakes work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts