Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were all of the 69 trap doors painted black or were they painted to match the interior panels?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
72conv said:
Were all of the 69 trap doors painted black or were they painted to match the interior panels?

Thanks,

Mark

Painted to match the interior color (both sides) though the hinges were semi-gloss black

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Guess I need to tell the Boss 302 guy in my club he's got some more painting to do, eh Mark? ;)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
WHile we are discussing this ... just a thought.... what color interior is the car? Wouldn't be a white interior car would it?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The 70 Boss 302 I'm talking about is all white interior with a black trap door.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
sigtauenus said:
The 70 Boss 302 I'm talking about is all white interior with a black trap door.
OK... the original question was about 69 trap door !!

That is what I thought might be a case after viewing the posts.

Should have mentioned earlier that the 69 white interior cars are the only ones where the trap door does not match the color of the seats. Though they were "painted to match the interior panels?" if you compare them to the panels in the rear corners not the panels further forward ;)

Never truly understood why Ford choose to do this as it always looked odd to me.

As for 70 White sportroof interiors ... I've got no reference pictures for any original cars equipped like this

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
WHile we are discussing this ... just a thought.... what color interior is the car? Wouldn't be a white interior car would it?
Yes, it is a '69 mach 1 with white interior. I am converting to a fold down set up. I think the trap door would look best painted white to match the interior panels, but just wondered what was correct.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Jeff_Speegle said:
That is what I thought might be a case after viewing the posts.
Sorry, what is missing is that Mark was just at my house and asked about this, and I showed him some pictures of a 70 Boss 302 from my mustang club.

I think I gave him some bad info if the correct color is not black for his car.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
1969-70 WHITE SPORTROOF INTERIORS WITH FOLD DOWN ONLY !!

Not allot of white interior, with fold downs out there in original form. And they always did look odd because Ford's apparent choices really looked weird IMHO

So here are some original Dearborn built (Shelbys though this part of the interior would be the same as Mustangs) cars for examples. Have seen dozens of restored cars that had the same pattern of black and white panels

And this is the only original fold down white interior picture I could find of a 70. (0F02F107749)

Draw your own conclusion (Sorry for any confusion) . But hope this helps

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Great pictures, thank you.

Considering this is the concours forum, I'll refrain from posting how I would do it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
[
Should have mentioned earlier that the 69 white interior cars are the only ones where the trap door does not match the color of the seats. Though they were "painted to match the interior panels?" if you compare them to the panels in the rear corners not the panels further forward ;)

Never truly understood why Ford choose to do this as it always looked odd to me.

As for 70 White sportroof interiors ... I've got no reference pictures for any original cars equipped like this
I would have never guessed that the fold down panels were black in a white interior car. I bought white reproduction panels already, so I guess I will be painting the trap door white. I think it would look odd with just a black trap door. Guess I will lose a few points for that. Oh well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts