Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 69 Mach 1 that I've owned since '84 and had never questioned the authenticity of the vin tag until '89 when I moved to Pheonix. During the out of state inspection the AZ H.P. said the vin tag wasn't original and that it would have to be removed (didn't have the label around it and just didn't look right) and vin would have to verified from fender aprons (whiched matched) AZ H.P. then put a decal on drivers door jam with an AZ vin #, I then moved to KY there out of state inspection disregarded the AZ vin and removed it and registered the car under the original vin. Since then I've tried doing research on vin tags and have gotten more and more confused. I want to install a replacement vin tag (with 'not original' stated below number) What I'm wondering is should the vin be reverse or positive stamped I 've seen it done both ways. I've talked to judges at local shows and they just scratch their heads.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I suggest contacting Kevin Marti. He can both research the VIN and also provide you with a factory original appearance replacement (for a fee, or course). I obtained from Kevin a VIN decal for my 70 driver's door. Do a google search or a search here and you should be able to come up with his contact info.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I didn't make it clear I'm talking about the vin tag in the windshield not the warranty plate on the door. Marti does not make vin tags

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
As long as your original tag is present, look on page 185 of National parts depot book. There is a vin border decal for 68-69 dash vin tags that will make your tag look correct.
John

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Nobody makes VIN tags for the dash. Nobody. Your original (in whatever condition) is all that you are gonna have.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
So, are you saying that your car still has the original Ford VIN tag on it and the stampings on the shock towers? If so DON'T change it.

This is what I know about 69 VIN tags:

1) The border is painted on the tag. It is not uncommon for this boarder to be faded away to virtually nothing. I've seen alot of them like this. And yes, you can buy a decal from NPD for $15 to pretty yours up.

2) There are 2 versions of the stamping. Reversed and positive (using your terminology). basically the VIN was either "pressed in" from the back or was "stamped" from the top. Both versions seemed to be used by all 3 factories. I do not have any data on the change over from one style to the next. I might be able to guesstimate for NJ though.

3) Two styles of rivets where used. "Plain" and "Star". Again I'm not sure of the change over to "Star" only.

I can imagine that if you had the "stamped" version and the border was faded away that it may look like the VIN tag was fake to "some" people.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Not that I condone this, but you can buy the apron stamps on ebay or through some Mustang s shops, How hard would it be to buy a stamp set, reverse or normal and make a Vin Tag (the sheetmetal would not be hard to duplicate and the screws/rivets are not even visible in most cases)and use the $15 NPD sticker? The stamps may not even be available, it was just a thought and I'm sure I'll get flamed for even metioning it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Not sure why my post duplicated, but I'll use this to explain why I even mentioned this. What about the guy who had his car stolen and the SOB's that took it mutilated the dash VIN, now he is screwed. Or the guy who had some sorry @$$ bodyshop remove and lose his, same thing, they are SOL. There are actually a few places that can and do make tags, but it takes an act of god to get them make one for you.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sounds like the Az HP screwed up! Your car was ok before they messed with it and the title!
Wonder what they would have done with a pre '68 or most other old cars that don't
have a dash VIN? On a '68 Mustang would they have said the VIN tag is on the wrong side?
From what you say the current title and VIN is straightened out. Leave it all alone!
The dash tag is the official tag. It gets worn by years of windshield cleaning, dash
cleaning etc. The same Az HP guy would probably be suspicious of the VIN dash tag
on my '68. It looks like new! I've had the car 30 years and rarely clean the inside
of the windshield or the dash! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts