Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to attach the woodgrain buttons to my 69 Deluxe interior upholstery. This is a pain in the a$$. I have noticed many reupholstered 69 Mustang interiors with the buttons missing so I am assuming other owners are having as much fun as I am.

It looks like these woodgrain buttons were attached to the upholstery by pressing them onto a backing plate from the factory. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to reattach these woodgrain buttons to the backing plate? Everything I have tried so far has failed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any answers for me? Now I know why people leave the buttons off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
sorry - missed your post as there are way too many to keep up with....

what I use to reattach the backing plates for the buttons is good ol' baking soda and super glue (the real thin stuff). Originally, the backing plate was positioned over the pin of the button and the pin "peened" over. the peened part must be cut away, thereby making the remaining pin too short to re-peen. actually, the most difficult part is getting the backing plate repositioned. Once it is back on the button, simply sprinkle a small amount of baking soda around the pin and place one or two drops of the thin super glue which hardens the baking soda around the pin thus keeping the button in place....

if all of this doesnt make sense, email me and will try to get a few pics of what I am describing....

randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts