Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 will be getting painted this week and I just need to confirm the color of the cowl interior. On the 69's, the exterior cowl cover grill is removeable and therefore the wiper/upper cowl area is exposed. Is this supposed to be the body color or is it "underhood black?" The car has been repainted once so I can't determine what is correct.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
When the interior of the engine compartment was painted on the assembly line the cowl (and front fenders) were off the car as you state. The inner cowl area was painted at the same time as the engine compartment and was painted black.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
If you have a copy of Osborne's '69 body assembly manual, it might tell you in there in the assembly notes. I've found notes like that in my '68 assembly manual...

Good luck with the paint job, and give us a shout when it gets back home (or if you need help getting it home). ::

G

·
0 Posts
Most were body color,,,but i had a dead-original paint 70 Mach that had "batch-black" brushed on the cowl directly under the louver area.i could tell by the screws that that cowl cover had never been off the car b4.It was a low milage original. Wist i never sold it!! LOL

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
According the the 69 Assembly manual: If the hood was blacked out the cowl area (under the upper valance was blacked out as well.

Before I painted my car I sprayed the entire inner cowl area with a good paintable 3M undercoating for extra protection. I also re-did the seam sealer arround the high-hat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts