Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not what you think...
I ran out of gas testing my car out tonight. I ended up guiding it about 1/2 mile from a gas station on Interstate 5, by downtown san diego. That is my 6th time and im only 18, must be a record?? I need to get my gas guage going. Oh, btw, I ended up getting 6 miles a gallon /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I judged it real bad. I have been on the throttle the hole time trying to get things in tune and that is the reason. Im used to it now,wasn't even mad. I just reached in the back seat, gut my fuel can:) and started walking. Probably gotta go buy another filter now. Is this pathetic or what?? Any similar stories?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think you have it for running out of gas ! My personal record deals with locking my keys in the car. Two records, actually - for most number of times in one month (4) and longest distance from home. I go to great pains to avoid it now -

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I had no gas gauge in a 65 fastback, and drove it to and from work for four years. Believe it or not, I never ran out of gas once. Maybe I was just lucky; but maybe it was because I listened for a slosh at the end of each day! Seemed to work pretty well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 66 coupe didn't have a functional gas gauge in it for the first few years I had it, I ran out of gas several times and actually began keeping a full can of gas in the trunk. I finally put a new float in the gas tank and my gauge worked again. It was an easy job, you might want to give it a try. I drained my gas tank beforehand naturally and got a bunch of crud out of there in the process.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't know if its much better or much worse but it was back when i was17-18 and still living at home. I parked the car at night and went to bed. The next day i went to take the car out and it was out of gas. I litterally drove it up the drive on vapors. It eas very embarassing to have to take the lawen mower gas to get my car up to the gas station. Dad had a field day with that one.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The gas gauge in my Ramcharger hasn't worked for the past couple of years, but still I haven't run out of gas. I just make sure I fill it up ALL THE TIME!!! The Mustang makes me kind of nervous though.... I never know how much gas is in it. Maybe I should fix the float......

·
Registered
391 Posts
Six MPG seems pretty low. Anyway, write your odometer reading on a post-it note on your dash each time you gas up your car. Ten gallons times six MPG equals sixty miles; when you've traveled sixty miles since your last fill-up, it's time to fill it up again. You can put post-it notes all over your dash for oil changes, girlfriends birthday, reminders not to speed, RPM to shift at, check tire pressure, change underwear, current girlfreinds name, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
OMG! 6 miles to a gallon of gas.....You need to buy a cheap, throwaway ricer to drive, and save the Mustang for weekends, and paydays....
My car with the 460 in it gets about 11 around town.....
You don't need to fix the gas guage, you need to fix the motor to get some milage.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have TOO much open road, and Im trying to get my car in tune. I tune it running WOT through all the gears /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Normally I should get 12 to 14

·
Registered
916 Posts
lol I've had that same problem, but have discovered that is extremely easy to break into the stang, so no big deal now, but i do make sure the keys are in my hand before the door closes =)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Once dropping someone off at the airport I locked my key's in the truck while running on the drop-off lane, cops came over and broke in for me! Very red faced on that one.

Darrel

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got you all beat on that one. Try locking your keys in the trunk at a mini-mart on your way to the prom in your tux and your date is waiting! Doh!

Robert

·
Registered
182 Posts
how about having you buddies egg you on to street drag race some dude in an old turtle style 63 falcon--I`m in covair spyder(turbo job)got him outta the hole,grabbed second gear,winding to third and waphummmmmmmmm poof* outta gas(didn`t know it at the time-took me a little bit to figure it out)but I sure was the laughing stock on that one 24years ago and I still hear about it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts