Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some recommendations for 6x9 speakers for the trap door in my 67 Mustang.

I am going to run two 6x9's in the trap door and two small speakers in the dash. No kick panel speakers, don't have the room.

I figure I could run a small sub but really prefer not to so I would like the 6x9's to have decent bass, the highs and mids will be helped by the dash speakers.

Thanks, if you have speaker suggestions for the stock dash speaker location that would be great too! I am thinking about the "Pile Driver" dash speakers from Pioneer that NPD sells.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If I were you I would go to the local bestbuy and listen to all the different speakers. That way you can determine which sounds best to you.

I have Pioneer 4 way 6x9's and love them (chose them by listening/comparing). They have really good bass. 4-ways are best for what you are using but 3 ways are okay as well. Remember, the heavier the magnet the more bass you're going to get.

Honestly, with the Magna exhaust a sub is required to have the kind of sound I require. Maybe not for you, I don't know. But especially since you don't have overdrive (i.e more rpms on the highway) you might want to consider a small sub. Plus then you could put in an amp that would make your 6x9's sound better.

On the other hand, I am a sound snob. Maybe you won't be as picky as I am.

Bottom line is I would not buy speakers without listening to them any more than I would but a car without driving it.

I have a fair amount of experience with car/home audio, so if you want to come up here and we can go shopping for some equipment I would be more than happy to help you out. You could also listen to the system in my Mustang and see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you can find them, I would go with some of the reissue JBL T595 6x9's. They're awesome. They have a 1-piece cast aluminum frame, a really heavy magnet, and they just sound great. They also look just like the old 6x9's JBL made in the 60s and 70s. If you can't find any, then just listen around. I hear that Clif Designs makes good speakers, and www.sonicelectronix.com seems to have some good deals on them.

If you find a speaker you really like, check ebay for good deals. There seems to be a really significant markup in the car audio sector, and sometimes you can get around part of it shopping on ebay.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've got Infinity Kappa's in the trap door of my '65 fastback.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Regardless of whatever speakers you choose, make sure you amplify them. You'll never get the full benefit of having those speakers hooked up if you only run them off the head unit.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I bought an ABS trap door from Mustang Depot (slower, but cheaper than everyone else) and plan to use 6.5 round speakers in it, better sound quality than 6X9 IMHO. The trap door does not have the speaker pods. I may cut some wood rings or something to support the speakers on the back side since it will be covered anyway.

Here is a link to a good Post

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/003.jpg

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
quality speakers without an amplifier will actually damage from the power impurity from the head unit way before the amplifier ever will. It's a night and day difference. I agree with fast68back that round speakers produce much better sound, but wasn't sure how they would look if you have provisions for a 6x9 (assumed you had the trapdoor with 6x9 pods).

With that said, i don't think you'll be happy with the Piles in your dash but that is simply my opinion.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
buening said:
If you can afford them, MB Quart, Focal, or Boston Acoustics. Other than those three brands, i would go with the Infinity Kappas. I assume these won't be amplified?

Boston Acoustics :thumbup: :thumbup: That's what Red uses.

Derek we should have a sound blasting party. Red can kick buttocks. Wait and see what Shag will get :thumbup: Both amp and subby will be
"junk in his trunk".

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
One thing to also consider is appearance. Many of todays speakers have colored or barely-there grills which look too modern in our vintage interiors. If you have a black interior, do you want to see the red or silver (or whatever color) woofer material? Just a thought to consider how the speaker color will blend in the interior. I ended up with inexpensive Blaupunkt 6x9 ($40) in my trap door because they "looked" right although the sound is not the best.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone this is very helpful. I have a clean repro trap door that I am going to cut, I have no limitations but I think the 6x9's look the best.

I think I will go listen to what's out there. I was very impressed by what Craig has in Red, that is when I decided I would by a repro metal trap door to cut it. (I put the near perfect original in storage)

I am going to be using a stock AM radio converted to Stereo AM/FM with 4 x 44 Watts with RCA inputs for an Ipod.

I also agree that many of the 6x9's out there are too modern looking!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
I am going to be using a stock AM radio converted to Stereo AM/FM with 4 x 44 Watts with RCA inputs for an Ipod.
Hey Justin,
Did you purchase the stock AM radio already converted, or did you have someone do it for you?
From where did you purhcase your radio (or have an original converted)?

I'm looking for something similar, because I really like the idea of having a stock radio in the dash. If I can't find something like what you've done, I'll probably just install a working stock AM radio. Then, install an amplifier with RCA inputs out of sight, which is where I'll hook up an IPod for quality sound.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
How they look. I agree completely! Seems like car audio stuff is designed as much to
impress visually as much as sound! I don't want flashy looking speakers and a receiver
that looks like a video game! Used to be the really good components "spoke" for
themselves. Now it seems you have to go low end to get stuff that isn't like a
flashy commercial for the brand.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am having a stock one converted here locally in Redwood City. The guy has a few months of backlog but I am hoping mine will be done next week. (I took it in a couple of months ago, he says he is working on it now)

I will let you know how it looks and sounds once I get it back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
http://www.babala.it/prodotti/t595.jpg

These are the vintage reissue JBL T595's. I think they look great, and I know they sound great. The finish on them is the same as on a pair of valve covers--the wrinkle coat paint and the smooth aluminum fins. All that silver is raw aluminum, not silver paint. The quality is top-notch. I had them in my '66 Fairlane powered by a 270 watt JBL amp.

-Joseph Knight

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Fantastic! Who has 'em?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know anyone near me who handles them. There's a dealer locater on the site, so I guess if you want them, that's the only way to find them. I haven't seen Foose speakers online, but I think www.sonicelectronix.com handles the brand, so maybe they could get them for you if you were interested.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
That why I went with the Infinity refernce series, very subtle, the thin brushed aluminum line on the grills blends very well with the brushed aluminum dash pieces.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/108/h1086002ip.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts