Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Mustang coupe (s-code),The car is real straight with a 302 mtr sitting in the engine bay. I have come across a 68 Cougar with a factory 390(x-code).I heard about the car and went to look at it. I wanted to purchase the car and install the mtr. into my Mustang. Problem is that the Cougar is straight,90% all there,Disc. brakes,automatic,console,9 inch rear.It does need floors and the windows are gone.I would hate to buy the car and tear it down if the car is worth restoring. I know about the Mustangs but not much about the Cougars. I have started with Mustangs in worse conditions. Should I buy the car and try to resell it? Should I buy and part out,after I get what I need. (It is a big block car)Any info please let me know.
Thank You ::

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
A big block Cougar is a relatively rare cat. If it's saveable, it should be saved. There are a number of Cougar owners in Texas who would probably buy that car and save it. My suggestion is to buy it and resell it or, if there isn't enough room in the price to make a profit, post it on http://www.mercurycougar.net with a location and contact info.

If I wasn't about to start the CatVert project, I'd buy it.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Transfer all the parts to the Mustang ! !
The Cougar will be worth much less even after restoreation than your coupe with the engine -discs-etc.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'd say don't butcher that Kitty. Here's just the first engine rebuilder I got with a quick Google search of "rebuilt Ford 390 engine," offering a rebuilt 390 complete from carb to pan for $1561. I would hate to see a restorable Cougar destroyed for that kind of money. You can still find rebuildable 390's in the yards.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
BTW, the windows are interchangeable with the same year Mustang. I have a couple of sets if you want to bring that cat back to life.

Cougar values are starting to rise. I know of a '68 XR-7 X-code that just sold to a dealer in PA for $17K. Granted, it was an awesome car but a Mustang coupe would also need to be an awesome car to bring that kind of money.

From the front bumper back to the rear floor pans, the Cougars and Mustangs are almost identical and most parts are interchangeable, including floor pans. The Cougar has an extra 3" (approx.) in the rear seat and trunk area, so the shock mounts and such in the rear are Cougar-specific but you can use shock extenders to compensate.

Where the Cougar can cost a lot more to repair is sheet metal. Very little is reproduced and good used originals are hard to find. Front fenders aren't too bad; I have a pair that I've set a price of $80 each on. Quarter panels are much tougher, but if the wheel arches are the problem area, you can sacrifice a couple of fenders to use the wheel arches from those to fix the diagonal rear corner.

So, I still say save the Cougar.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
please don't part that cat out!! can't wait to get started on miss jaeqqs 70 cougar...going to look great beside the 70 mach.....67-70 cougars are just too cool :0)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the reply's,I'm a Ford guy and I know how hard the big block muscle cars are getting to find.This is why I asked for feedback.Like I said I would hate to see this car torn down. I'll have to think on it

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Don't cut the Kitty!!!! They're value sleepers.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The parts you are getting off the Cougar are worth more on the Mustang than the Cougar is worth. If you watch the value of Cougars with needs, they generally sell for whatever the drive train is worth.

Case in point: there was a 69 428CJ (R-Code) Cougar that needed restoration on eBay a couple of months ago. The car had a rebuilt 428CJ motor and the correct automatic and rear axle. The seller ran the car on eBay for 3 weeks and finally let it go for about $8K, which IMO is about what the motor, tranny, and rear end were worth.

It is much more expensive to restore a Cougar because of the lack of parts and the demand is just not there.

The other thing that you have to consider is that the Cougar is providing you with more than just a motor. You're also getting all the brackets, pulleys, mounts, etc. that are unique to big block Mustangs/Cougars. You will find it very expensive and time consuming to try to piece together a big-block drivetrain one piece at a time.

IMO you should part out the Cougar. It's easy for other people to tell you to "do the right thing" and so forth but that doesn't get your Mustang back together.

Besides, if you sell the Cougar the odds are that the buyer is just going to take the drivetrain out of it and part out the rest.

I hope that I have not offended the Cougar lovers. I'm just giving my opinion of what this guy should do based on my experience.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I understand your logic but I disagree with your conclusions.

There are still cars out there that are well past saving that could donate the needed items, Cougar or Mustang. This particular Cougar is described as straight and restorable. It is actually more rare than the Mustang even if the current market values don't reflect it.

It's a bit like a Mach 1 or 67-68 fastback owner killing a restorable S-code Mustang coupe because the parts would be more valuable on their car. I wouldn't agree with that, either. These parts can be had from cars that are already dead or dying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts