·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
55K - 65K seems a little low?
Agree completely. In fact I'd say if that thing went to Mecum or B-J it would bring six figures easy and I'd bet Perkins knows that too. For some that's the Holy Grail.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
55K - 65K seems a little low?
45K - 50K "wholesale", and 55K - 65K retail. Yeah, I think someone is throwing a low price at the owner and using "wholesale" and "retail" as excuses for the low ball figures.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
While I don't know Perkins personally, from what I know of him, I don't think he would low ball a potential seller. Consider Boss 302 Mustangs are rare among Mustangs, but compared to the really high priced cars that go up for auction, there's a lot of them. Also, while this particular Boss 302 is in good shape for a survivor, it's in need a lot of cleaning up and other work to be show-worthy as a Thoroughbred entry. Likely the engine the seized.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Perkins is not far off:

Yes, one owner but that goes away once it is sold. 11k miles is nice, but Perkins has some with a lot fewer. As nice as the car is as a survivor, it needs $$$ to get it to concours. A concours '69 is worth $135k and those are much more rare than a '70.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Perkins is not far off:

Yes, one owner but that goes away once it is sold. 11k miles is nice, but Perkins has some with a lot fewer. As nice as the car is as a survivor, it needs $$$ to get it to concours. A concours '69 is worth $135k and those are much more rare than a '70.
I was under the impression Ford sold many more '69 Boss 302 Mustangs than '70 Boss Mustangs. (??)

·
Super Moderator
10,062 Posts
I can’t help but think that after a good clean up, there’ll be a long line of guys hoping to pay 65K for this low mileage car.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
From the article:

"Who knows, this could be the last original owner Boss 302 in the world. Is there another original owner out there that still has his or her Boss 302?"

As a matter of fact that's easy to answer. I know of at least one member on boss302.com who is the original owner of his '69 B2.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I was under the impression Ford sold many more '69 Boss 302 Mustangs than '70 Boss Mustangs. (??)
Nope

1,628 in 69
7,013 in 70

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I can’t help but think that after a good clean up, there’ll be a long line of guys hoping to pay 65K for this low mileage car.
I would agree if by "good cleanup" you mean a typical day at the detail shop. That's different than a historically correct detail that would include rust repair of everything that even has flash rust, paint and chalk marks that would get it to a show winning level. One would probably have to put $25k into it to get it close to that $100k level. Then there is the mechanical freshen-up of a car that has sat for so long. One would expect seals to be gone everywhere.

Reactions: Klutch

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I don't think I would do a single thing to it, except prevent any new flash rust. In fact, I would offer not to buy the car, but arrange a contract where I became a caretaker and ownership would pass upon the original owner's passing if he preferred.
Once it is sold, it's not a one-owner.
Once it's restored, it's not an unrestored survivor.
They're only new once.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I would agree if by "good cleanup" you mean a typical day at the detail shop. That's different than a historically correct detail that would include rust repair of everything that even has flash rust, paint and chalk marks that would get it to a show winning level. One would probably have to put $25k into it to get it close to that $100k level. Then there is the mechanical freshen-up of a car that has sat for so long. One would expect seals to be gone everywhere.
This! And, as I said above, the engine is likely seized. Any work attempted by anyone other than a Boss 302 restoration expert would end up lowering the car's ultimate value. Such work is extremely expensive. Thus, the seemingly low current value.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,301 Posts
I'm not sure what makes anyone think the engine would be seized, IME unless the hood was off and the carb rained in, it is very unlikely that it is seized. I have seen engines older than this stored inside and fire up with minimal work. And I wouldn't touch anything that didn't absolutely need to be fixed, not sure what the fixation is about tearing apart things that just don't need it on a car of this caliber. Clean it up, do some basic maintenance and leave the rest alone.

·
7,010 Posts
I don't think I would do a single thing to it, except prevent any new flash rust. In fact, I would offer not to buy the car, but arrange a contract where I became a caretaker and ownership would pass upon the original owner's passing if he preferred.
Once it is sold, it's not a one-owner.
Once it's restored, it's not an unrestored survivor.
They're only new once.
I agree. I think spending $25K to restore this car might actually lower its value. I hate the phrase "It is what it is"....but in this case I think it applies. It isn't perfect, but "it is what it is"....and that is a survivor....

Phil

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
What!!! make another trailer queen out of it? Patooey, get it so it runs and stops and drive the ever loving wheels off of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts